Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-27-2008

Tahani is on a distinguished road
I just register and saw this post. Boat name, thus user name is not correct and is being fixed. But-

I'm a retired wooden boat builder and we still do boat work, including varnishing etc on boats for customers.

We used Bristol finish on our mast also. We are in south Texas and our sun is brutal. We had been using Z-spar 2015 and it held up better than anything else we tried, but not on the mast.

The Bristol has been on the mast now for just over a year and is still flawless. My wife was working in a bosun's chair up the mast last week and looked it over- looks as good as when we put it on. We are hopeful now that we can get two years from it before having to add a coat.

On the toe rails, we tried varnish, etc, but as was said by someone else, unless you do the bottom also, water WILL get under there and lift the edges- Doesn't matter what you use- that's a weakness.

My wife (Laura) does our brightwork and she finally gave up on the toe rails, wooded them and keeps them oiled. She's switching every thing else to Bristol now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2008

westerly33 is on a distinguished road
What about a method shown on MAS Epoxy web site?
I tried it this spring and it looks promising. They use two coats of MAS epoxy and UV protection on top of it. They use automotive clear coat for big jobs. It is simple and result is beautiful. Well, southern Ontario is not southern Texas.
Old 10-27-2008

Tahani is on a distinguished road
I used to build wood/epoxy boats for a living, and I've used epoxies for building and repairs now since 1976. Epoxy is wonderful stuff and will seal wood really well. Makes a great base for varnishes and the clear coat for cars is really tough stuff. It's a two part and isn't cheap by the way.

BUT-

You MUST be certain you can maintain the finish. IF you let it get bad, and let the sun get to the epoxy so IT has to come off, you are letting yourself in for a major job. And that's the real beauty of spar varnishes- they can be touched up. The clear coats ( and polyurethanes) don't lend themselves as well to touch ups.

SO yeah- great idea provided you stay on top of the topcoats and don't let them go. Means touching up nicks and dings as soon as you see them, which of course you should do anyway so sun and moisture doesn't get under them. If you can't see yourself doing that, then don't put the epoxy on there.