Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-31-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Is my battery about to explode?

So I have a severely neglected 4d interstate battery on my boat. It's been discharged for probably one year and depending on how the owner/broker treated it perhaps 3 years.

I plugged it into my brand new Xantrex Truecharge 40 and decided it was in need of an equalization charge. Started it last night at 10:00pm PDT. It ran like I would expect, slowly decreasing from 40 to 20 to 10 to 5A. This afternoon it went back up to 10, then to 20 the next hour and I noticed the battery is pretty hot. In fact you could feel the heat through the battery box. It's also making that nice sizzling noise.

I stopped the equalization charge (ran about 17hrs total), let it rest an hour and checked the voltage. 12.62 at the terminals. Seems low...

Does this seem normal? Abnormal? Anyone ever had an equalization charge go back up in amps before? Should it get hot or make sizzling noises? Do interstate batteries suck as much as I think they do?

I'm in a quandry because we're leaving for 3 weeks tomorrow and I don't know if this battery will hold a charge or not. We plan to spend most of the time at anchor and will be needing the battery.

Any suggestions on what I should do or how I should test it?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Interstate makes a pretty decent battery. The sizzling noise is probably the electrolyte boiling, which is pretty much normal when you're doing an equalization charge cycle. 12.62 VDC is pretty much 100% charge or so for a 12 VDC battery.

You need to get a load tester and test the battery. Or, alternatively, you can get a hydrometer and check each cell in the battery to see what the specific gravity is. Ideally, you should do both.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-31-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
I have to ask the obvious: Did you check the electrolyte levels in the cells before and after you charged it? The sizzling sounds like you boiled it out.

If there is electrolyte (water/acid) in the battery, the next step is to go to your auto parts house and get a hydrometer. After leaving the battery charger off for about 3 or 4 hours, at least, check each cell with the hydrometer.

My first inclination is to say the battery is shot. If it's been dead for at least a year, and maybe as much as three years, then the battery is at the end of its useful life, anyway. I certainly wouldn't plan on cruising with it.
Old 07-31-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Any suggestions on what I should do or how I should test it?

MedSailor
You could spend a lot of time trying to revive this probably defunct battery, all the while worrying whether it will perform for your trip or leave you in a bind. Or blow up on you.

Or you could go out, buy a new one, install it, and charge it up. If you take good care of it (and with that charger you will) it will last you 5-8 years. That's 5-8 worry free years.

Hmmm.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-31-2008
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Interstate makes a pretty decent battery. The sizzling noise is probably the electrolyte boiling, which is pretty much normal when you're doing an equalization charge cycle. 12.62 VDC is pretty much 100% charge or so for a 12 VDC battery.
Interstate makes a decent battery eh? The reason I was suspicious was because there is not AH rating. It gives lots of cranking amps and reserve minutes (how do they calculate reserve minutes anyway) but no AH. I'm hoping that the P/O didn't buy a 4D starting battery.... Do they even make 4D starting batteries?

As for the voltage I thought 12.8 was full and 12.6 was only 2/3 or so.

MedSailor

Old 07-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Medsailor-

It could be a 4D starting battery... it would be stupid to do that, but it very well could be. From what I saw on the Interstate battery site, the only 4D marine battery they make is a dual use. The model is SRM-4D. Is that marked anywhere on the battery you have???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-31-2008
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Medsailor-

It could be a 4D starting battery... it would be stupid to do that, but it very well could be. From what I saw on the Interstate battery site, the only 4D marine battery they make is a dual use. The model is SRM-4D. Is that marked anywhere on the battery you have???
SRM-4D is my battery. 2005. I wasn't able to find AH on the site for it. "Dual use" sounds like code for cheap deep cycle to me.....

MedSailor

Old 07-31-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Interstate 4D's as I recall provide 155ah's at the 20hr. rate.

In any case...after sitting a year without a charge, this baby is toast IMO. Get a new one before leaving on a cruise. 12.63 volts is FULLY charged but to getthat reading immediately after an EQ charge is BAD since you should be reading over 13V with a surfsace charge. My guess is a load test will draw the battery down quickly. Get a new one as cheap trip insurance for a few years! Have fun!
Old 07-31-2008
Telstar 28

It isn't a deep cycle battery technically. The plates are thinner than a true deep cycle battery would have.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-31-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
MY Guess would be that initially it was ok, but as the plates started excepting the charge they started shedding and now are basically shorting out the bat. internally by piling up on the bottom...part of the reason its getting so hot... doubt it would explode but you dont want it on yor boat..

I just through out 2 8D's as they sat for a year and a half in a machine we didnt use and I was lazy about removing them...sad thing is they were 2 weeks old when I parked the machine..dumb..real dumb