Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-31-2008

CliffR is on a distinguished road
C&C Smile

I am kicking around buying a few different designs. One being the C&C 38, I have 2 that I am looking at and they both have a little seperation of the keel to keel root on the front edge of the keel. Seeing it on 2 38's had me thinking that this is just something to do with the design of the keel and hull is this a common thing od C&C becauuse of the design of the keel with it being swept aft at such a pronunced rake?

Cliff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2008

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
The infamous smile

Cliff,
Yup, that's the C&C smile.
Go to:
C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

and read up on it. The way I understand it, as long as the keel bolts are tight and there is no water intrusion, the smile is a non issue. It can be filled in but that will be only a temp fix anyway.
I wouldn't let that be a show stopper.
BP
Old 08-01-2008

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road
Yep, the C&C smile is very common. Makes sure you check out the C&C site. I bought a C&C 34 two years ago. I spent some time investigating the smile, spoke to a few experienced people. The consensus was that this is a cosmetic issue. C&C sealed off the keel boats very effectively so water intrusion is usually not the issue. I torqued them down, ground out the smile, glassed and faired it in, and have had no difficulty. The smile comes back, but I've learned to live with it.

Skywalker
Old 08-01-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
very common with these boats,i dont have it on my 33 but i have seen it on almost every 70's c&c ive been around.
check the torque of the keel bolts and throw some fairing compound in the crack every couple years.
Old 08-01-2008

chandlerman is on a distinguished road
I've got the C&C Smile on my 35' Mk I, but only on the port side. I talked to both the surveyor and the maintenance chief of the yard where I bought it and they both confirmed that it's cosmetic. The maintenance chief has sailed a '79 C&C for several years and is uber-knowledgeable about them. If it's affected me any, I haven't seen it.
Old 08-01-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffR View Post
I am kicking around buying a few different designs. One being the C&C 38, I have 2 that I am looking at and they both have a little seperation of the keel to keel root on the front edge of the keel. ....Cliff
Cliff,
FWIW you needlessly color this situation with cause for unecessary concern by using the word "seperation". The C&C smile doesn't involve any seperation for the keel from the hull. smile or no smile, the keel is equally well attached. The smile exists due to the erosion or loss of cosmetic fill material applied to the outside of the hull/keell joint. The wonderful thing about the old C&C swept-back keels is that you can beat the living hell out of the keels and not do any damage. Several times I filled divots the size of a clenched fist in the leading edge fo the lead keel of my C&C 30 I, left from striking rocks at full tilt...run a thin coat of marineTex over the smile and that is it.
Old 08-01-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
As long as...

As long as it's not continually dripping water out of the "smile" you are probably ok. If it's weeping water after more than few days out of the water you may be looking at crevice corrosion of the keel bolts.

Many times you can get a smile without water getting to the keel bolts. Sometimes though it gets to the keel bolts and then you need to do a reset and possibly replace some of the bolts that are missing material..

Crevice Corrosion:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-01-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
FWIW, I've never seen a C&C smile on the EARLY GENERATIONs of C&Cs that weeped, mine would be damp for a few days after hauling, then was dry. Any moisture in the smile would be seperated from keel bolts by 8-10 inches of in place sealant and I never heard of anyone needing to drop a keel or replacing keel bolts (doesn't mean it never happened...). As far as the keels on those boats, I always felt as safe as I would be standing on the Rock of Gibralter (almost as solid as a CS...).

The newer generation boats where cored hulls and high aspect keels were introduced are a whole different subject, as they were as fragile as most other boats of similar design and construction, and I personally would never consider one (whether C&C or other).

Last edited by sailingfool; 08-01-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
As long as it's not continually dripping water out of the "smile" you are probably ok. If it's weeping water after more than few days out of the water you may be looking at crevice corrosion of the keel bolts.

Many times you can get a smile without water getting to the keel bolts. Sometimes though it gets to the keel bolts and then you need to do a reset and possibly replace some of the bolts that are missing material..

Crevice Corrosion:

the boats they built in the 70's were overbuilt in avery aspect.
c&c keel bolts make those keelbolts look like finishing screws.
Old 08-01-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
If the keel

If the smile looks like this C&C keel you may want to steer clear. A keel joint like this is a sure sign of crevice corrosion. I've seen it many, many times.

I just took these about a half hour ago and the boat has been on the hard since at least last September.

Stbd Side"

Port Side:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.