Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-01-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
fresh water system stopped working after fill-up

I have a new (to me) Beneteau 505 with 4 separate water tanks. The fresh water system was working when I bought it. Of course, before sailing away from the dock and taking her home, I topped off the fresh water system. Now it doesn't work, only sputters a small bit of water out of the faucets.

When filling up, we simply stuck the "garden" hose into the inlet port. There was no firm seal. Water could and did spout up 6-12 inches high when the tank got full. So I'm thinking (hoping) nothing got damaged from that.

I tried switching the manifold to suck water from various combinations of tanks and still it didn't work. I tried switching to the backup water pump and that didn't work either. I did notice that the water pumps looked like they were pumping a lot of air into them, through the clear hose going into the pump.

Maybe there needs to be an air cavity in the water tanks for it to work? To prime the pump? My plan is to remove an inlet cover or two and see if it works then.

Any ideas?

(Counting the hours until I'm back on board!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Your tank breather will still work even if the tank is full to the brim.
Personally, I never fill the tank right to the deck fitting and it's best not to let it spout up like that as it pressure-spikes the tank.

Even still, I cannot explain what's happened to the pump. perhaps take off the tank inspection hatch to see if that helps.
Old 08-01-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Disconnect the water line just prior to the pump and see if gravity pushes water through it. Most tanks, when full, are above the pump so gravity allows the flow. If there is water there, then you have a pump issue. If not, probably a valve shut off somewhere. Usually water problems are more a matter of tracing the problem rather than a major issue. Just like electricity, it flows!
Old 08-01-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
If the boat is brand new, there is a fair chance you have an obstruction from construction debris that was not adequately cleaned from the tanks. More than likely it is clogging the inlet at the pump. Alternatively, the hose clamps may need to be snugged so the pump won't draw air.

Another possibility is that the air leak or blockage is at the manifold, which might explain why switching tanks had no effect and your "back-up" pump also did not work. It's difficult to say for sure without seeing a water system schematic. Is your back-up pump a foot-pump?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-01-2008
Honey-Do II

HoneyDoII is on a distinguished road
Do you have outlet valves on each of your water tanks individually? It sounds like they are all closed. When you initially turned the water on it sounds like it pumped the feeder line dry and no fresh water is now gravity flowing to reach it.
Old 08-01-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyDoII View Post
Do you have outlet valves on each of your water tanks individually? It sounds like they are all closed. When you initially turned the water on it sounds like it pumped the feeder line dry and no fresh water is now gravity flowing to reach it.
That is a very good suggestion!!

On our boat, each tank has a ball valve at its outlet. If these valves are closed, the system would produce the sort of symptoms described.

However, the OP indicated that the system was working prior to his filling the tanks, so ????? Did he or someone else possibly close those valves when the tanks were filled?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-01-2008

allegedly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to allegedly
Bleed the system. Turn on the pump. Open all the faucets including fresh water lines into the toilet, if you have them. Close them starting at the sink or head furthest from pump. Check tank for leaks, Bene's use plastic tanks that can split if too much pressure is used.
Old 08-01-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Something to try before you do anything complicated... We had a similar problem at the start of this season. Go around to all of your faucets and unscrew the filter screens from the ends. See if there is debris or gunk. We disassembled half of our water system thinking it was an airlock, and it turned out to be this issue.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 08-01-2008
Honey-Do II

HoneyDoII is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
That is a very good suggestion!!

On our boat, each tank has a ball valve at its outlet. If these valves are closed, the system would produce the sort of symptoms described.

However, the OP indicated that the system was working prior to his filling the tanks, so ????? Did he or someone else possibly close those valves when the tanks were filled?
John,
I read it slightly different. I made the assumption some amount of time passed between when he viewed the boat and then bought it before he sailed it away. Given that time, the PO could have turned off valves as part of his standard exiting proceedure.
My other thought was that the initial test could have used up any water remaining in the line prior to the cut off valves.
Just ideas...
Old 08-01-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
May have an air lock. Open all valves - should clear the lock. If not, disconnect the out fow from the pump and see if it clears.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.