Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-01-2008
Sailed it!

tcase10 is on a distinguished road
Propeller Shaft "Flaking"

I had the boat hauled today for a bottom painting. While there I was told by the yard that the cutlass bearing was bad. He showed me this by shaking the prop shaft and said there was too much play. When he did this some of the prop shaft "flaked off" and revealed some of the shaft that was pink. He said that the zincs were gone and the shaft was compromised. He said that the shaft would likely break and fall off in time. To replace the cutlass bearing and shaft - $900-$1000. Is this reasonable? Has anyone ever seen a shaft in this condition? Oddly, the propeller was in excellent condition, no growth or damage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I did mine myself. How long ago were the zinks last replaced? If it was recent find out why they are gone and fix it. Could be electrical leakage. You have a bigger problen than just the cutlass bearing. If you replace it and dont fix the problem you will be replacing it all over again.
Old 08-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the shaft is bronze, and it is pinkish, it is likely a victim of galvanic corrosion of some sort. Don't know if the price is reasonable or not, as I don't have any specifics on the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-02-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Well... with the prices they are paying for metal at the scrap yards just make sure you get to keep anything they replace... Bronze shaft?
Old 08-02-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Take a picture of it and post it here.
I think changing the cutlass bearing would be enough and you could easily do it yourself.
I have serious doubts that "He said that the shaft would likely break and fall off in time" is anyhting other than sharp practice, and poorly worded.
Old 08-02-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Your costs for replacement, etc. sound correct, although you could DIY for less. As to whether you wish to replace the shaft, that's your call. Personally, I'd go stainless and find your galvanic corrosion problem. Me thinks your marina is the culprit. Hang a zinc off your battery's negative terminal over the side if you need more protection. You still need to find the cause.
Old 08-02-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Your shaft has suffered dezincification due to electrolytic or galvanic corrosion. The pinkish color indicates that the zinc component of your bronze shaft has been depleted (this why we use sacrificial anodes) and the shaft material is now seriously weakened and brittle. If it's bad enough that metal is actually flaking off the shaft, I would replace the shaft.

This kind of damage is unlikely to occur in a short period of time. While it's possible there is some electrical problem that is the root cause of this (most likely to be aboard your own boat, rather than a neighbor's or the shorepower system), it sounds like the boat has been unprotected by zincs for quite a while. You absolutely need to make sure your zincs are replaced periodically.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 08-02-2008 at 12:26 PM.