Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-03-2008
Feckless Lout

tminski is on a distinguished road
Pilothouse Window Replacement Opinions

Hello Friendly Strangers,

When you get a moment, could you let me know your thoughts on this situation?

I'm replacing my boat windows (not so much ports). I have a choice between original, plastic framed windows and marine aluminum framed windows. This here post on my blog explains the situation, and here is a link to some pictures.

All opinions, insults, and compliments are welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A couple of thoughts...

I'd go with the aluminum framed windows, since they're probably going to be easier to maintain in the future PROVIDED you install them properly. If you go with the aluminum framed windows, make sure that you use TefGel or Lanocote on the fasteners to help prevent galvanic corrosion problems.

As for your replacing the teak plywood with seaboard, I'd say that is probably a bad idea. If the teak plywood was installed as a structural stiffener, replacing it with Seaboard, which IIRC, isn't meant for use as a structural material, is a really bad idea. If you want to make the interior white and really low maintenance... install marine plywood that has been epoxy impregnated and then laminate white formica or other surface laminate to the plywood. This will give you the same structural strength of plywood, with the low maintenance finish of a plastic laminate.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-03-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
For $500 to get repairable, ABYC windows seems like the way to go to me. If you could get the aluminum frames to accomodate thicker glass/lexan it would be a good idea also if you plan any offshore sailing

John.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-03-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
They do make special rubber gaskets that are used to keep the windows in place. A bit of a pain to put in. I have replaced windows with these. The window is cut to size and then is held in place with the gasket. This method is used on many commercial vessels. Then you needn't worry about mixing metals or using sealants.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 08-06-2008
Feckless Lout

tminski is on a distinguished road
Thanks to each of you... good food for thought, good energy for action. The structural issue with my intended seaboard is a gem to reflect the light of further obsession, but definitely gives me a whack on the lazy bone. The boat is lightly constructed, so my use will be inland waters and brief, carefully chosen coastal cruises. I'll have to check into the gasket-thang.

|
Old 08-06-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Tim,
All I can give you is a second hand recommendation for Bomon. A couple Nauticat owners have gone with Bomon and claim to be happy with the product and service.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI