Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-03-2008

svey is on a distinguished road
Lowrance XOG

I'm considering this crossover gps. I was looking at a handheld with maps possibility but I think this one could be better. I sail in the St-Lawrence(St-Laurent) river near Montreal. Does anybody have any experience with that model?

Tx

Yves
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2008

rbensyl is on a distinguished road
Me too!

I'm also looking at low cost options for my small boat. The XOG looks pretty decent and is very inexpensive-.

Anyone have an opinion/experience with this model?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The things I do not like are the lithium ion battery with a life of 2.5 hours and not user replaceable if charger fails and the automotive primary intent:
"Caution:
The unit is designed to be used inside an automobile. The mounting
bracket included with the XOG package is not designed for boats, motorcycles
or off-road vehicles. These installation types require an optional
bracket and cradle designed for rugged outdoor use. The unit's
case is not waterproof. If used in wet conditions the unit must be protected from moisture."

I don't think it is suitable for use on a sailboat.
Old 08-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to use the unit on a small sailboat, you really want on that is IPX7 water resistant at a minimum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-17-2008
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Do you have wheel steering or do you use a tiller? If you have wheel steering you can mount a small gps unit right in front of you. If you use a tiller you may have to actually hand hold the unit, since mounting it on the bulkhead or near the companionway might put it too far away to see the detail clearly -- am I giving away the age of my tired old eyes here?

I bought a Lowrance H20c for really cheap at Gander Mountain and I really love it for the boat. It is completely waterproof, and the lake charts software I bought with it shows depth contours at 1 foot intervals! (Much better resolution than the lake charts on my friend's $1000 Garmin.) The H20c has road information as well but does not have auto-routing capability so its use in a car is limited. I do keep it in my second car as a toy when sailing is done for the year.

Its battery life (AAs) really sucks but I wired a 12v socket to the back of the cockpit and keep it plugged in there. I hang the unit on a homemade bracket on the lazarette but can grab it at any time for a closer look at the display. It's kind of fun to look at your recorded track and analyze your tacking angles.

Old 08-22-2008

svey is on a distinguished road
Purchased the XOG and IFinder H20

I've finally purchased 2 gps units. (Actually got my boss to pay for them) I pickup up the Navionics 14xg sd cards. I've used the XOG on the road for a Cape Cod vacation. That was nice specially when driving around Boston.

I've used the H2O yesterday during a 4 hours go around the bay with the family. The learning curve on the H2O is much steaper than the XOG.

One question I have: When the GS indicates 6.5, I have to divide that by 1.2 to get boat speed?
Old 08-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You need to change UNITS of MEASURE from statute miles to nautical miles to avoid doing the calculations! See page 94 of your manual.
Lowrance Self-Service Support
Old 08-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do what cam said to save yourself some headaches. BTW, it would be dividing by 1.15, not 1.2 to convert from statute miles to nautical miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svey View Post
I've finally purchased 2 gps units. (Actually got my boss to pay for them) I pickup up the Navionics 14xg sd cards. I've used the XOG on the road for a Cape Cod vacation. That was nice specially when driving around Boston.

I've used the H2O yesterday during a 4 hours go around the bay with the family. The learning curve on the H2O is much steaper than the XOG.

One question I have: When the GS indicates 6.5, I have to divide that by 1.2 to get boat speed?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-22-2008

rbensyl is on a distinguished road
Thanks- I'm now leaning towards the Lowrance H2o unit based on forum input.
Old 08-24-2008
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
A few years go we were anchored in front of the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost VanDyke in the BVI. The chartered boat had a fancy chart plotter, but I had brought along my small Garmin Quest, an automotive GPS (similar to the NUVI, but with a smaller screen.) We were going to go to St. John, so I punched that in as a destination on the Quest. It calculated the best route, then told me to "drive East 1.5 miles to the ferry dock in Great Harbor, then take the ferry to St. John."