Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-03-2008

BlueVeins is on a distinguished road
Port o' Potty

Hello there,

New to sailnet.

I have a 1968 Del Rey 24 with a small stateroom and sink/cabinet. I just got the boat a few weekends ago and am putting the requisite work in to make sure she's safe and seaworthy. (the person i bought her from didn't sail her for a year, so everything needs help, from outboard to electrical)

I learned to sail a year ago and spent 2 months or so sailing every week and then, sadly, nothing for a year. Now I have a boat and want to hone my skills to make a trip to catilina with my girlfriend and dog. Now here's the rub:

No head, and I need to get one. Not so much for myself, but I really don't enjoy hearing people complaining and won't stand for people talking poorly of my boat, so I have to do something.

Any suggestions of brand, or since my boat has tons of bulkhead room, any suggestions on retrofitting a potty maybe in the stateroom?

I have some grandiose ideas of someday having some liveaboard time, or maybe taking a few weeks off some time down the road and cruising the channel islands, so the creature comforts would be almost necessary for something like that....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you are interested in something of a semi permanent nature this might be of interest as it can be directly plumbed to a pump out fitting rather than carrying porta-potti wasted bank and forth to a dump site. It also holds 4x more than a standard porta-potti:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|806|81394&id=105225

At $389 itis not cheap though and you may just wish to look at regular porta-potties.

This one is $100 bucks with a 5 gal. capacity and there is a $69 one with 2.6 gal capacity as well.
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|51|806&id=81394
Old 08-03-2008

svey is on a distinguished road
Sealand Dometic 975msd

I've just installed a 975MSD to replace a Brydon by Jabsco with no holding tank. I have an O'Day 23 1976. The toilet was not working properly and the cost of the tank and hose associated with replacing everything was to big for the type of outing we do. We sometime overnight but never more than 2 nights at a time. That model has a 5 gallon tank, and a pumpout installation (1 1/2 sanitation hose and 3/4 vent). So you don't have to carry a 5 gallons container around. It is suppose to be good for 30 to 50 flushes before needing emptying. I will know more about that in a month or so.
Old 08-03-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
If you are interested in something of a semi permanent nature this might be of interest as it can be directly plumbed to a pump out fitting rather than carrying porta-potti wasted bank and forth to a dump site. It also holds 4x more than a standard porta-potti:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|806|81394&id=105225
I would second this recommendation, they work very well, no smell, easy install. Uncle has one one his boat and he has been very pleased with it.

Porta Potties get real old real quick trying to find a place to dump them and they are typically poor construction.
Old 08-04-2008

I am the sort of person who buys good tools once instead of cheap tools I know I have to replace. The same goes for something as personal someone else's waste. I think comraderie is on the right track with the expensive option, but I think svey might be the only one here who is (you'll have to excuse me for this one) in the same boat as me. I guess one thing I forgot to mention is that my boat doesn't have a "room" set aside for the head. I'm going to have to get creative if I go with something more on the permanent side...think curtains.

It seems like the whole point behind a head, in my situation, is to make "guests" more comfortable, but at the cost of removing valuable space, thus making it less comfortable. that 24' doesn't allow for much of anything!

Svey, Please let me know how everything turns out! I probably won't overnight for another 6 months or so, and even then, it won't be but 2-3 times a year, so my usage will be roughly what yours will be. also, let me know if your boat has a room, or if you've got a creative solution of your own.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-04-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
BlueVeins, you asked for a suggestion of a brand: We use an original Porta-Potti and don't have too many issues with it (apart from the odd water leak - not waste!), but if I bought another one it would probably be the Fiama Bi-pot. Apparently, they're a bit easier to disassemble.

As for where to keep it: Most boats I've seen in the 20' - 25' range keep the potti in a recess (burrow) under the V-berth so that it can be pulled out when required and then pushed back out of the way when "not in use".

Whatever you do, remember that when full, these things weigh about 20-25kgs so you need clear access from at least the front and top and you don't want to have to lift it out of anywhere if you can help it.

Have fun!
Old 08-04-2008

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
I had a Catalina 25 for a number of years and made the hike up to dock with a tank of slude many times. If you go for the portable option, definitely get the type that allows you to separate the tank from the seat so you will not have to carry everything up the dock.
Old 08-04-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post

This one is $100 bucks with a 5 gal. capacity and there is a $69 one with 2.6 gal capacity as well.
Porta Potties
Man, that brings back great memories of our last boat..........

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-04-2008

I was under the impression that after 1 mile out to sea you could dump your grey and brown water. Am I wrong? There seems to be a lot of dicussion about haulin' honey pots up and down the dock looking for someone who is in the market for some second hand meals. I can't think of a crappier way to end a nice day of sailing!

If that's the case, It seems like a 5 gallon bucket with a seat bolted on is a lot less work!
Old 08-04-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
No it is three miles out to sea and beyond the three mile limit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture