Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-05-2008

bradfalk is on a distinguished road
barient 17 question

hi all,

just overhauled my main winches (barient 17's); was very straight forward, went fine and they're spinning away. However when reassembling one of them I noted that the self tailing piece that leads the line onto the winch grip is bent (I just got this boat, don't know if this was trauma or if this was an incorrect/ill fitted replacement as it doesn't look damaged per se). Check out the pic and you can see where there is very slight contact. It touches the inside of the upper grip which exerts pressure upward against the drum (and some resistance when turning). I put it in a vise and was able to bend it a bit to release most of the resistance, but it's not perfect. It's hard because if I bend it out too much then the distal part touches the bottom grip plate. So, hard to find the perfect balance.

Does anyone know of a good supply of Barient spare parts where I could obtain a replacement?

Any suggestions? Even though on my good winch that bottom portion of the lead doesn't touch anything, I would imagine it's still not a good idea to simply saw off the bent portion that touches the winch on my affected one. Maybe it has a function when under load from the line?

thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

brad
Attached Thumbnails
barient 17 question-bent-lead.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brad-

that piece is the line stripper...and kind of necessary for a self-tailer to work properly. It looks like it was bent at the very outer end just a bit, and that is why it is rubbing. If that piece is bronze, it may be possible to bend it back without breaking it. Stainless steel would be a bear to bend back.

You need to bend it at a specific point for it to work properly. The line formed by the vertical marks just to the left of where it comes up to the top piece looks like where the original bend occurred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-05-2008

thanks- yep it's stainless and pretty tough to bend. It's functional and clearly was working like this for a while- so I guess I'll look around for a used winch to scavenge for parts. I was tempted to cut the bottom horizontal part (that's contacting/rubbing) out since I think that piece, when tightened down by the retaining plate, would still function. thanks for the input
Old 08-06-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
The piece between the grip flanges (SD had a fancy name for it - "line stripper"?) serves only to prevent the line from feeding into the gap behind the feed ramp and jamming. There is little if any pressure on it as long as it keeps the line out. This may be problem if the line diameter is on the small size for that winch because with the upwards bend, the gap under it is accentuated.

If that were mine I'd take a file to the top of the "horizontal piece" and clean it away just enough not to touch the upper flange. What have you got to lose? If it breaks you were going to replace it anyway.

Andre
Old 08-10-2008

Andre I filed that piece down and bent the "vertical" back to vertical, and it works/fits like a charm. Thanks guys/
brad