150% Geona 4.5 oz.
Luff 29'
Leach 29'
foot 17'

sailrite lists a Genoa for my boat as:
Luff 32.17ft (9805mm)
Foot 19.42ft (5919mm)
Leech 30.83ft (9396mm)

Obviously that sail won't be 150% for my boat. I'm wondering if I could use this Genoa on my boat? What are the downsides? How plug and play would this be?

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Sure you can use it. A 150% genoa is a bit large for normal sailing needs, anyway. Maybe you can give it a try before you buy?

Re: plug and play, should be just that!

Bill
Old 08-05-2008

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Sail Choices

Hi,

This is an interesting question so I thought I would try to help. The comparison and suggestions should help you make a wise decision. If not, ask more questions!!

First I would take a piece of graph paper and a ruler. I would overlay both sail dimensions using a scale of 1 box equaling one foot.

You will quickly find that the Sailrite dimensions will produce a longer leading edge (luff) and a shorter trailing edge (leech) than the one you are considering. The Sailrite dimensions will give you a high clewed sail, easy to see under but not so good to weather. You should notice the other sail will have a lower clew.

What kind of boat is this? Are you racing or cruising? Do you sail in a heavy air area or a light area? Are both sails dacron cross cut and do they have the same cloth weight?

If the Sailrite dimensions are right for the boat and you do indeed want a large headsail...you will have to measure out the LP on the graph paper as compared to the J measurement of your boat (front of mast to headstay at deck level) to determine the LP percentage of that sail. I'm guessaing it will come out about 130 or 140%.....then is your desire to use it on a furler? Is the luff tape size right?

all for now
Old 08-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just make sure that the luff will fit your boat in terms of attachment method. If you use hanks, it shouldn't be a problem, but if it is supposed to fit on a furler... you'll need to make sure the boltrope on the luff is the right size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-05-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
There's more to sails than just white triangles. Often, close is not good enough. If you feel that used sails are a way you want to go, then I would suggest purchasing, if at all possible, sails from the same model boat.

Old 08-05-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I agree with NOLAsailing. Those 3 dimensions doesn't mean you'll be able to get the same shape out of it as your current sail. Draft location will be a factor, if you can try before you buy, then that would be perfect. Or buy with the intent that you can return it same day or next day if you don't like it.
Old 08-05-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Aaaammm, what kind of boat do you have?
What are the dimensions of the fore triangle?
It's kinda hard to know if the sail will work or not without know a little about the boat you want to put it on. I don't think I would trust a sail purchase to the size recommendations from Sailrite. Dig a little deeper.
Old 08-06-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
As for plug and play, the other posters have covered most of this. Do you have a roller furler or do you use hank on jibs? If you have a furler then the luff tape size makes a big difference.
More info would help the inquiring minds that want to know.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-06-2008

dgr is on a distinguished road
Everyone, thank you for the responses and for asking questions of me so that I can get my question of you answered. Since I don't know what I don't know, this is very helpful.

My boat is a columbia 28. The CYOA lists the IJPE as 31.80 12.00 26.70 11.30

I use hanks. This is just a cruiser. I apparently sail in a windy area (SF Bay)but have only had the pleasure of a brisk breeze once since I purchased the boat this summer.

My sailing experience is very limited. My Jib is long in the tooth and as I just spent 2000 on my standing rigging and have 20 other projects on this boat but only one boat buck bucket, I would like to hold off on purchasing new sails for a year so thought I would look into used sails.

T34C, great point! Can you think of a better place than here to start digging?
Old 08-06-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Just google used sails...there are a number of places to choose from that may have a better fit.
Example:

Sail Search Results

1 match found. Go back. New search.
ID Tag Type Luff Leech Foot LP Condition Price
G1908-4B jib 32'8" 31'8" 19'8" 18'4" GOOD $525
dacron, 7 oz., miter cut, double stitching, luff wire, leech line, numbers, some hardware corrosion, #3 hanks, 299 sq. ft., a few stains
Contact Second Wind Sails to Order Your Sail
Hours: 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. EST/EDT, Monday - Friday
U.S. and Canada, Toll Free: 1-(800) 273-8398
South Florida: (954) 767-8885
Fax: (954) 523-7258
Email: info@secondwindsails.com