Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-05-2008

Mary51 is on a distinguished road
Leaking oil drip pan - liner?

I have an oil leak (working on it) and finally figured out how oil gets into the bilge. The oil drip pan is two pieces welded together and I can see daylight at the cross-pan weld. It looks like stainless steel.

It can't be removed without hauling out the engine, so I'm wondering if there's something I could use to line it. It would have to be flexible. Heavy, heavy duty aluminum foil?

This is a tiny little gear problem, but I'm sick to death of dealing with the oily bilge.

All comments (serious,comical, practical) welcome!!!

Thanks.

Mary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
jb weld.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-05-2008

What's a "jb weld?"

Not happy to see the word "weld." Trying to stay in my area of competence here (no, not cooking).

Besides it's leaking from several different places. . .

Mary
Old 08-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You must not be a Cartalk listener. JB Weld

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-06-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on where the oil is coming from? An oil leak is never a good thing. Any form of fixing the drip tray will only last until it is full then the oily bilge is back. Maybe one of those oil absorbent sausages in a net bag (can't remember the name) would be able to staunch the flow to the bilge

I.ve never used the product so can't really be certain but the JB Weld appears to be an epoxy compound that would want a pretty clean surface to bond to and I don't know if a drip tray that can't be removed from under the engine would ever fit that description.

Andre

Last edited by Omatako; 08-06-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Mary...
Have you got a wee picture?
I don't know if it's the sump or some sort of oil catchment pan you are talking about.
Old 08-06-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary51 View Post
Besides it's leaking from several different places. . .
I was almost going to suggest getting all the oil out (trickier than you might think) so you could seal up the leak, but it sounds like what you're describing is the entire weld failing? If so: I'm afraid you're going to have to have the engine pulled and the oil pan replaced.

It's not an "oil drip pan" or a "drip tray," it's an oil pan, period. Even when the engine's running a goodly portion of the engine's oil is in that pan. When the engine's stopped, 75-80% of the oil is in there. There's a sump near the bottom, somewhere in that pan, connected to the oil pump, that brings the oil up out of that pan and pumps it throughout the rest of the engine. More accurate to think of it as the "oil reservoir" than a drip pan or tray.

Worst case: If that seam fails catastrophically and dumps your oil in the bilge while your engine is running, your engine will almost certainly be toast before you can possibly shut it down, even if you do have a low oil pressure alarm.

Jim
Old 08-06-2008

Not the "oil pan," the catchment pan.

Thanks for replies. I used to listen to Cartalk, but haven't tuned in for while.
I really can't get at all the leaking places and/or get it clean enough for the JB weld, I don't THINK. I may yet try it.

I am concentrating on the leak. Long story, and will be back with another question when I pinpoint it.

There's a spout on the catchment pan (everybody happy with that term?), and I can rig a bottle if necessary to catch overflow. Not a perfect system but workable for the meantime.

But I need a temporary liner that can be folded to get it into the space. Any problem with using heavy duty alum foil for short term?

Thanks all.

I'll try for a picture this weekend.

Mary
Old 08-06-2008
Telstar 28

If there isn't any contact, I don't see why you couldn't make up a liner with heavy duty aluminum foil.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-06-2008

Thanks.

Thanks for all responses & info & suggestions. This weekend, I'll try the foil fix and try to pinpoint the leak.

Mary