Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-06-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Finish on wood battens?

One of my battens broke so that it was unusable, another is missing a small amount (broken off at one end) and the third is in OK shape, but is obviously a replacement (it is made of thin metal; others are plastic) and is way too limp. So I cut new ones out of white oak and sanded them smooth. Should I just oil and wax them or is there a good reason to varnish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Personally, I like to varnish, but that's just me.
Old 08-06-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
I used spray on waterseal on the ones I made. I had some lying around and did not want to mess with a brush for such a small project. Only time will tell but so far I've not seen any adverse effects on the sails yet (my sails are old and will need to be replaced in the next couple of years anyway so I am not taking any great risk). I think the only concern with using any type of sealer is bleed through and I think any product you normally use to protect wood that dries thoroughly and is waterproof would do the trick.
Old 08-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Oil and wax... varnish will get damaged in the batten pockets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-06-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
Based on..................? The wax will wear off even faster and then you have exposed the sail material to the "oil" which will at the very least stain it perhaps even damage it. I would guess even a single outing could wear off the wax with all the movement a sail sees.
Old 08-06-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I probably should have given more detail...

Because I mostly day sail, I am more concerned about sliding in and out than protecting the wood. If they get wet, they won't stay wet long and white oak puts up with getting wet and dried pretty well, especially when it is thin.

When I say "oil" I mean a tung and terps blend using 100% tung oil and sometimes substituting spirits for terps (real terps is pricey, but I use it for authenticity in building historic instruments - another hobby) usually mixed about 50/50 for the first coat with more oil in succeeding coats. For something utilitarian like this, I would probably only do a couple of coats.

When I say "wax" I mean paste wax rubbed in and buffed out.

Varnish is the Helmsman spray can from the hardware store. I don't generally use varnish for much.
Old 08-06-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
I can't imagine why using the Helmsman varnish wouldn't do an adequate job for this application. Apply 3-4 good coats and then touch them up once a year or more often if you need to.

They seem easy enough to remove and the whole touch up cycle couldn't take more than an hour or two each time.

If you are worried about the durability (I wouldn't be) you could always spend more money and coat them with one of the two pack finishes like Bristol Finish or Interlux Perfection or the Epiphanes two pack. I think that would be overkill but any of those would more more resistant to chafe in the pocket.

Having said that, I would save my money and just use the Helmsman. It will do fine.

Regards, John

Last edited by Whampoa; 08-06-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whampoa View Post
If you are worried about the durability (I wouldn't be) you could always spend more money and coat them with one of the two pack finishes like Bristol Finish or Interlux Perfection or the Epiphanes two pack. I think that would be overkill but any of those would more more resistant to chafe in the pocket.
Even though I did all my exterior teak with Bristol winter before last and am constantly getting praise, I think it would be the Absolute Worst finish for this application - It's Much Too Brittle !!!! Every other product listed in this thread would be better to include Nothing.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 08-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you just need to protect the battens...coat them with epoxy... They shouldn't have too much UV exposure, since they're in the sail batten pocket.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-06-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
No offense intended here Andy. I agree the white oak will do fine left unfinished but christyleigh let's remember this is a 17' day sailer.

Andy are the battens full or partial battens? Do you bend them in hard angles on a regular basis?

I surely wouldn't seriously recommend any of the two pack finishes but because of the expense not the brittleness in this application. But that's the beauty of a forum like this lots of free opinions.

But I'm just working on my post count aiming for SD before the end of the month so please disregard my previous post.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

John

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.