SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

SAILOMAT Self Steering Gear- Model 601- Owners Manual or copy required

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sirphil 
#1 ·
Hi. I have recently acquired a Sailomat 601 Self Steering Gear, at the same time as I have also acquired a 44ft wooden ketch. The Sailomat came from another sailboat and is not yet fitted, but it came without any manual so I would really like to have a copy of the original Owners Manual for one of these to help with fitting/installation. I will probably have to fabricate a framework on the stern, to accept the base mounting for this Sailomat, as the boat is wooden, double-ended and with a bumpkin projecting over the stern! If any one is willing to let me have a copy(or an unwanted original !) I would be very happy to cover printing costs etc, and postage to me, as I do not have a Fax. The boat is in Antigua at present but I am in the UK(Europe) for the next few months, and would like to get a copy of this before going out to the boat and starting the fitting of the Sailomat! Many Thanks. Phil.

#3 ·
Have you contacted Sailomat? They're still in business and might be able to reproduce a manual for you.

SAILOMAT International
Design Office and Factory-Direct International Sales
San Diego, California, USA
E-mail: contact@sailomat.com
SAILOMAT

A google search turned up a 13 month old thread on the Cruisers' Forum where a fellow named Peter Schellekens said he had a complete manual and was offering to help another fellow who needed it. You could also try contacting him. You can find that thread here.

#4 ·
thanks decap6 for this. I had already contacted Sailomat and no parts or manuals for this old model apparently. The various threads have suggested that there are some people with manuals, and have contacted one or two to see if they are willing to send me a copy. Fortunately my 30/40 sailomat came complete, and with some spares! I am sure even if I can't get a manual I can puzzle out the installation OK. I have had an Aries, a Monitor and one other Windvane pilot over the years and the principles are basically the same- it is maninly the parameters for angles of mounting and height above water etc are the critical things I would like to know. Many thinks foir your help. Sirphil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.