Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-08-2008

talismansigns is on a distinguished road
Older roller furler set-up help.

Hello all,

(I have an Oday 22 (1973) sailboat.)

I could use a little direction here. I have an older roller furler I am trying to mount to my jib. Here are pictures. There is a cable that I believed ran from a mount on my bow to the jib halyard. But it is shorter than the actual jib. Has anyone seen this type of set-up?

Top of jib/cable:
http://www.talismansigns.com/uploads...ff/roller1.jpg

Bottom of jib/cable:
http://www.talismansigns.com/uploads...ff/roller2.jpg

Sail/cable/furler parts:
http://www.talismansigns.com/uploads...ff/roller3.jpg

I have exhausted the internet….

Thanks,
Joe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2008

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
Does the luff of the jib have a wire embedded in it? This very much looks like the kind of furler where the sail is rolled up around a wire in the luff of the sail. The swivel goes at the head, the drum with the control line is at the tack. When the sail is hoisted, simply pull the control line and wind the sail up around its own luff.
Old 08-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think Gc1111 has got it... It looks an awful lot like the roller furling I have on my screacher sail, which has a wire luff and can be furled around the wire luff. You CAN NOT USE THIS FOR REEFING the sail, but can use it for furling it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-08-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc1111 View Post
Does the luff of the jib have a wire embedded in it? This very much looks like the kind of furler where the sail is rolled up around a wire in the luff of the sail. The swivel goes at the head, the drum with the control line is at the tack. When the sail is hoisted, simply pull the control line and wind the sail up around its own luff.

You are correct sir.
Old 08-09-2008

Thanks,

But the jib has clips on it that I usually clip to my for stay. Where would the clips go? What would keep the sail in place along the wire end? It seems to me it would need more to hold it than the tension along the wire and the halyard tension…

But I will try it as you described and see what my results will be.

Any idea what the cable is used for? 2 of them came with the boat. This is my first year with it. It has been learning process.
Old 08-09-2008

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
Oops, I missed the forestay clips. With those you definitely cannot roll up the sail. The usual jib construction uses a rope luff with hanks for the forestay. This gives you some control over sail shape by how much tension is on the halyard. For the old roll up around the luff furler that I thought it was, the hanks are replaced by a wire in the luff. This lets the sail roll fairly smoothly around the luff. The wire let you set up enough luff tension that the sail does not sag off badly. Frequently these systems were left up full time (to the detriment of the sail).

Maybe a little more description would help. What is in the sail luff, rope or wire? The extra two cables that you mention do not show up well in the pictures, can you say more about them or post more pictures?
Old 08-09-2008

Thanks for the help,

Here are the 2 cables. They are shorter than the jib edge with the clips by about 12”.

http://www.talismansigns.com/uploads...uff/cables.jpg

There is definitely a cable in the jib. Rigid.

Why do you feel you can't roll it with the clips?

Maybe the cables are not related to the roller… I assumed they were because they were in the same box with the roller pieces when I bought the boat…

I am heading out today. I will try it without any extra cable and see how it reacts. It is not predicted to be too windy. So there should be little risk.
Old 08-09-2008

sailingdog "CAN NOT USE THIS FOR REEFING"

Thank you.

I had a feeling in strong wind the sail would have a tendency to unfurl at the top and not the botton and possibly tear or wharp if it were reefed..
Old 08-09-2008
Just a Sailer

somers12 is on a distinguished road
This type of furler is exactly what I use on my Chrysler 22. You definately need the luff wire in your jib to make it work. Without it... I don't think so, unless you have a method to ridgidly attach it to the wire you have. You say the wire is shorter than your jib. Perhaps it was used for a smaller sail... like a storm jib. Mine works like a dream, both for my genoa and jib... good luck

Steve
Old 08-09-2008

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I had one of these antiques on my first boat. It was raised behind the forestay. It had the nasty habit of hanging up at the most inconvenient time. If you want a roller furler I would think about upgrading....IMHO