Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-14-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWingCA View Post
I should also probably cut an inspection port hole, with water tight cover, in the cockpit floor to be able to keep an eye on this connection over time without having to lift the engine cover. I like the idea of a line of paint to see if things are moving.

I will post pictures this weekend when I get a chance to get back to the boat.
If you want ideas about quadrant/steering gear inspection ports, take a look at "Green In Between" photo album on the Orion Yahoo group, they have some nice ones.

I sometimes use a sharpie to mark a line across the fitting and the "fitted" to see if the bolt/screw/fitting is backing out over time.
Old 08-14-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
While motoring back into the marina, my hydraulic steering system failed, and for a few brief minutes was left drifting into the marina until I was able to rig the emergency tiller and regain control. Very scary at first, since we were about 4 boat lengths away from either running into other tied up boats, or hitting the waste pump out dock, depending on the direction of the rudder when the steering failed. I used the motor and a combination of forward and reverse to avoid hitting anything while my wife dug out the emergency tiller and then I got it installed on the rudder post. Luckily disaster was averted
I know nothing of the fix, however I would like to completment you on the seamanship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2008

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Photo Update

Finally got some pictures to share on the steering failure. It appears the failure was caused by the hydraulic ram simply unscrewing itself from the swivel fitting. After re-aligning the ram and swivel, I was able to just rotate the ram and screw the system back together. This time I added the loctite blue thread sealer which I hope will keep the connection together. I also added other pictures of the hydraulic setup since some of you asked. The chain is attached to the wheel, and works the hydraulic pump which powers the ram / cylinder. Very simple, doesn't require any power, and hopefully will stay together this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Steering Failure after Sailing-boat-8-16-030.jpg   Steering Failure after Sailing-boat-8-16-010.jpg   Steering Failure after Sailing-boat-8-16-008.jpg   Steering Failure after Sailing-boat-8-16-009.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 08-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks for the update. Did you tighten the jam nut as well???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-19-2008

Yes I did tighten the jam nut as well.

LittleWingCA
Old 08-21-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Finally got some pictures to share on the steering failure. It appears the failure was caused by the hydraulic ram simply unscrewing itself from the swivel fitting. After re-aligning the ram and swivel, I was able to just rotate the ram and screw the system back together. This time I added the loctite blue thread sealer which I hope will keep the connection together. I also added other pictures of the hydraulic setup since some of you asked. The chain is attached to the wheel, and works the hydraulic pump which powers the ram / cylinder. Very simple, doesn't require any power, and hopefully will stay together this time.

If it were mine, I would drill through and pin the thing. Locktight is good stuff, I use it all the time. But what you have, I would pin as well.
Old 08-21-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
yep, I second knothead on that one. however, I think it needs to be drilled professionally to avoid reducing strength of material too much.

Interestingly, my steering ram arm does not rotate (and does not move externally when ram is empty, or at least not by hand).
Old 08-22-2008

Brak:

I have a bypass valve in the system which allows the wheel to be "disconnected" from the system and the ram can then move freely with the hydraulic fluid just moving from one side of the ram to the other without going through the pump. This was added to allow the use of an emergency tiller if the pump, drive chain, or wheel failed. The ram itself can rotate 360 degrees at any position setting, which I assume is proper since it needs to thread into the swivel fitting. The lock nut is supposed to prevent it from unscrewing itself, but I guess the original installation either wasn't done correctly, or it worked loose over time.

The Engineer who designed the system finally called me back after 2 weeks and went down to the boat to inspect the setup, and my fix, and checked to make sure the lock nut was properly tightened. He was very surprised as well that it unscrewed itself, and apparently this was the first time one of his hydraulic installations did that. I will ask him about adding a pin to prevent it from backing out in the future.

LittleWingCA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.