SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Toe Rail

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
As the saga of my rebuild continues, I have yet another question:

The boat came with approximately 3% of the toe rail remaining. After completion of the deck refinish, I plan on installing a new one. Question is:
The Original toe rail was a teak piece, approximately 1.75 inches square, milled to match the step of the hull-deck joint, and routered/rounded off for a nice finish. The joint is held together by SS rivets every 8 inches the length of the hull, as well as the bolts going through the toe rail every 12-18". Would it be accepable to lay a layer of glass on top(deck side) and underneath(cabin side) this joint, and go to a stanchion mounted toe rail? This would be bolted to the stanchions about 1/4" above the deck. If I can do this, I can use standard cut planks instead of custom milled ones.

Also, is Iroko an acceptable substitute for teak? How does one care for this in relation to teak?

Again, thanks for any and all inputs.

#2 ·
It may be okay, but it depends on how well backed and mounted the stanchions are, as well as how well you're going to re-fasten and support the hull-deck join. Be aware moving the toe rail to the stanchions is going to remove a lot of strength from the hull-deck join, since it sounds like the original toe rail was being used to support and reinforce the joint.

As for Iroko, it should be fine as a replacement for the teak, but will require you to take care when working with it, since iroko wood dust is a known allergen/irritant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.