SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

exhaust water injection elbow

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  negrini 
#1 ·
When I first got my boat the injection elbow, the custom made one with the little pipe welded on had been replaced by the PO. He used a standard elbow for the exhaust, and a tee below for the water injection. I used this setup for 5 years, and only recently replaced it with the injection elbow. My question is why do we use the special elbow when it is so expensive comparatively?

#2 ·
There are several conceptual points behind a marine exhaust elbow. Nigel Calder says to comply with all these points, an elbow should be made of Tungsten, unnaceptable due to price. In fact, diesel exhaust combined with saltwater produce a strong jet flow of sulfuric acid at just the elbow. That's why even stainless steel can't hold the punishment. Even risking an internal puncture on a water-cooled elbow, injecting water way below the elbow will create an unwanted high temp spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.