Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-18-2008

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
Another overheat...

Yesterday I motored out to some bigger water and had a great sail on a beautiful day. Wind 12-15. Seas 1-2 feet. Really great. Sailed back to the beginning of the channel to head in and the engine overheated again. I have a Yanmar 2QM15 installed by a PO years ago in my C&C 29.
The last time this happened while investigating what could be wrong I opened the raw water strainer, saw that nothing was blocking the water flow and closed it back up, restarted the engine and the water flowed normally. So I figured if it worked last time , it could work again. Yup, it worked.
What is going on here? Is there an air lock that needs to be broken ? Is this going to be part of my SOP? I'm sure that running the impeller dry isn't a good thing.
Has anyone run into this before and/ or have suggestions as to what to look for?
Thanks,
BP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
Yesterday I motored out to some bigger water and had a great sail on a beautiful day. Wind 12-15. Seas 1-2 feet. Really great. Sailed back to the beginning of the channel to head in and the engine overheated again. I have a Yanmar 2QM15 installed by a PO years ago in my C&C 29.
The last time this happened while investigating what could be wrong I opened the raw water strainer, saw that nothing was blocking the water flow and closed it back up, restarted the engine and the water flowed normally. So I figured if it worked last time , it could work again. Yup, it worked.
What is going on here? Is there an air lock that needs to be broken ? Is this going to be part of my SOP? I'm sure that running the impeller dry isn't a good thing.
Has anyone run into this before and/ or have suggestions as to what to look for?
Thanks,
BP
Probably draining back from heeling and your impeller is worn and can't re-create the flow very well.

Try closing the seacock when you go under sail, but stick the key on the valve so you HAVE TO open it to start the engine. If it starts with no problems it's due to drain back. If it's a major PITA when you haul move the seacock to the centerline...

It could also be that your strainer is well above the static water line and gravity automatically takes over even without heeling. If that is the case move it lower in the boat..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-18-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Sailed back to the beginning of the channel to head in and the engine overheated again.
What is going on here?
My guess is you're picking something up in the raw water intake and when you shut the engine off to check the raw water strainer it falls out/off--perhaps aided by some water running back down toward the thru-hull when you open the strainer?

Jim
Old 08-18-2008
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Something similar happened on a boat I raced to Hawaii, and the temporary fix was to close the thru-hull just before shutdown and open it just after startup, as recommended above. Never did hear what the ultimate solution was.
Old 08-18-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
My own pump will not self-prime if I take the boat out of the water.
It would when new but does not manage now.

It could be caused by heeling in your case.
Old 08-18-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
If it did not do this last season then something is WRONG.

If you have not changed the pump impeller then do it NOW.

Your boat is trying to tell you something.

You better listen.

Rick
Old 08-18-2008

Rick,
I install a new impeller every spring. Now that I ran this one dry I think I will replace it again,though. I think Halekai may have something. I'm going to try to shut the seacock off once I set sail and see if that does something. The strainer is above the water line too but I thought that was by design. And besides it hasn't moved since last year and I don't remember having this problem then.
BP
Old 08-18-2008
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
I sailed this year with someone who has a C&C 36 and he had overheats this year also. He spend $700 for a mechanic to check it and it still overheated. Couldn't find anything wrong, but was losing freshwater from the system. Decided to add a fresh water expansion tank to the system (seems a good idea) and still overheated. Finally in the end what it was is that the hoses were too long. When the cover was off everything worked just fine. But, when the cover was put back on the hoses kinked and this pinched off the flow. Sometimes it is just too simple.
Old 08-24-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
You might check the seal on the strainer because if it is above the water level it might be leaking air and and that would account for the pump not priming.

I think if it happened last year you would remember.

Rule 1

The last thing you mucked with is the first thing to mess up.

Rick

Quote:
Rick,
I install a new impeller every spring. Now that I ran this one dry I think I will replace it again,though. I think Halekai may have something. I'm going to try to shut the seacock off once I set sail and see if that does something. The strainer is above the water line too but I thought that was by design. And besides it hasn't moved since last year and I don't remember having this problem then.
BP
Old 08-25-2008

Seal? What seal?

Time Bandit,
That's an idea. I don't even remember seeing a seal or gasket or anything. I'll have to check that out.
Thanks,
BP

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.