Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-18-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Battery Question Number 92,457

My batteries are nearing their end. I want to replace them and I am frugal. I don't do extended cruising, mostly day sails with a couple of overnights each year. I am never really more than a few hours from land and don't run a lot of electronics.

Typically I run a GPS, wind indicator and depth meter when sailing. I do have auto pilot, a VHS, and Radar, but seldom turn them on.

My current batteries are Nautilus (Deep Cycle) that are 4 and 5 years old. The 5 year old battery has about 1 h of time for a simple car stereo. Even with repeated chargeing, it often won't start my motor. The other battery seems to be okay and has sufficient power to start my motor (Yanmar Diesel 3GM30) and run the electronic gizmos for a couple of hours.

I looked at a variety of batteries based on advice here on Sailnet. Since I am frugal, I thought a Seavolt Deep Cycle Group 27 with the following specs.

Group 27, 80 Ah, 745 MCA, 150 Res. Min.,

Or a Sears Diehard Marine:

Power Ratings:
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA at 0 deg.F): 575
Reserve Capacity (RC): 180 min.
Amp Hours at 20 Hour Rate: 105

The Diehard is $20 less than the Seavolt. ($119 vs $99)

I looked for other batteries in Walmart, NAPA, Pep Boys, etc., but could not find any that were suitable.

The Diehard has fewer CCA than the current batteries and the Seavolt, but a longer Reserve Capacity and more amp hours. The number of CCA needed to start the Yanmar is about 90 or so, so 575 is still 5X that number.

Suggestions?

DrB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
There are other people here that can give you great advice on which battery to buy. I would like to comment that you shouldn't wait as long as you did to replace your bad battery. If you have to charge it for hours just so it will only run a car stereo for an hour, the battery is totally shot. It just acts like a larger resistor, which just creates heat with all the power you throw at it while charging. This puts a big load on your alternator and or charger, creating more heat and shortening their life spans. It's one of those penny wise and a pound foolish things.
Old 08-18-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
I am reminded of the boat I crewed on years and years ago. One of the batteries was dead and the other--well, I'm guessing it wasn't in too good a shape, being as when we'd been out sailing one day, went to fire-up the engine to come back in, not enough battery to do it.

We, too, have only two batteries. They're marine batteries of some flavour. Each is only a Group 24. One is brand new last season. The other "looks" pretty new. They will get upgraded before we more than overnight a single night out on the lake. (I'll probably add a 3rd battery, paralleled with the #2 battery, to become our "house bank.") I don't want to be calling Sea Tow for a "jump." (It wouldn't be just impractical to get to our slip under sail, but down-right irresponsible to try.)

Jim
Old 08-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Replace both with group 27 deep cycle batteries and I would suggest going to Costco or Sams for a good deal. It makes no sense for you to get "good" batteries given your use pattern and you'll get as good performance out of the discount batteries as you will anything from West or Sears.
Old 08-18-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Since I am still limited to weekend trips (Work is the curse of the drinking class) I have used Costco group 27's for the last 7-8 years. I may upgrade to 6 volt golf cart batteries when I retire and live aboard summers in the Great Lakes, but 4 lower priced Costco batteries work very well for weekends, even running a 110 volt undercounter refrigerator with a 1500 watt inverter purchased at Costco! I keep wondering how many batteries I would need to add to operate my A C unit for 2 days!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
"I keep wondering how many batteries I would need to add to operate my A C unit for 2 days!"

More than you could carry on a 37-footer :-)

Bill
Old 08-18-2008

kjell72 is on a distinguished road
if you dont do extended cruising it is best to get cheap deep cycle batteries and try to take care of them.
If you want good batteries the only way to go is gel.

I fought with different types for 3 years crossing the pacific and ended up with envy of my french friend with only one gel battery, you can even add. batteries later on the same circuit if it is gel.
read about my batteries on my webpage, search for spetakkel and trafficated on google.

kjell
Old 08-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I disagree... gel batteries have the worst characteristics both wet cell and agm batteries, with little of the benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjell72 View Post
if you dont do extended cruising it is best to get cheap deep cycle batteries and try to take care of them.
If you want good batteries the only way to go is gel.

I fought with different types for 3 years crossing the pacific and ended up with envy of my french friend with only one gel battery, you can even add. batteries later on the same circuit if it is gel.
read about my batteries on my webpage, search for spetakkel and trafficated on google.

kjell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-18-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
For a frugal person, stick with standard wet cells. Try to avoid "maintenance free" batteries. If you take proper care of them (charging, water, avoid deep cycling them, etc.) you will get the most amp hours per dollar spent.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.