SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Repowering with an outboard?

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Rockter 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm not there yet, but i'm wondering what to do when my 30+yr old Yanmar dies. I doubt I'll be able to afford to purchase a new or decent condition replacement (which could be more than the value of my boat), and am wondering if it's possible (well, ya, it's possible, but is it a good/mediocre/bad idea) to add an transom mount for a 18-25hp outboard motor instead.
Pros:
I'm thinking the space where the inboard is now could provide a ton of storage space, and the outboard would be far easier to service than the inboard and quieter while running. FAR cheaper to repower with a roughly $3K new outboard motor.
Cons:
I'm thinking downsides might be prop coming out of the water in big seas. Have to bolt or chain it on well for security.
It would look kinda red-neck :( :D

I have a '80 33' Hunter Cherubini with 5.5' draft keel.

Ty in advance for your thoughts.

#7 ·
have you checked into overhauling your yanmar? do you have a 2gm 20 or 3gm 30? diesel fuel is a lot safer than storing gasoline. your inboard engine is a lot more dependable than a transom hung outboard. my engine is a 14yr old 2GM20F and i expect it run a loooong time before needing work. you don't say if is using oil or other problems.

#8 ·
You've got to remember that going to an outboard also gives you a lot less choices and options. An in-board diesel can power a hot water heater, A/C, a larger alternator, water maker, refrigerator and such. Can't do that with an outboard.

#9 ·
Why Not

Have you considered to recondition the engine you have while it still works?, if this is too expensive too just slab an engine in the stern, 9,9 is enough if you normally sail and mostly use it for in and out of harbour.

He who has the most fun wins :)
Kjell

I travelled the pacific with a faulty engine.
Search for trafficated and spetakkel on the net to find me.

#10 ·

I ran that on the back of my Pearson 36 for almost 2 years. It does good in protected rivers, but out in the harbour on a rough day it would come out of the water alot. Granted the motor isnt really made for this, or is it long enough. Ive since gotten an extra long shaft 9.9, but ive got to rebuild the bracket since it has rusted pretty bad.

Its your call, but you may have to make a custom bracket to bolt an off the self bracket onto in order to get the motor low enough depending on your transom style. Also dont forget the do some reinforcing to the transom since it wasnt made to hold a motor. Good luck. PM me if you want more info on my bracket.

#13 ·
You should get out of the boat now while tyhe engine is running, let someone who can afford to maintain the boat take on the eventual task of rebuilding the engine. Add an outboard and you'll reduce the value of the boat by far more than the cost of the outboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.