Repowering with an outboard? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 08-18-2008 Thread Starter

Repowering with an outboard?

Hi,

I'm not there yet, but i'm wondering what to do when my 30+yr old Yanmar dies. I doubt I'll be able to afford to purchase a new or decent condition replacement (which could be more than the value of my boat), and am wondering if it's possible (well, ya, it's possible, but is it a good/mediocre/bad idea) to add an transom mount for a 18-25hp outboard motor instead.
Pros:
I'm thinking the space where the inboard is now could provide a ton of storage space, and the outboard would be far easier to service than the inboard and quieter while running. FAR cheaper to repower with a roughly $3K new outboard motor.
Cons:
I'm thinking downsides might be prop coming out of the water in big seas. Have to bolt or chain it on well for security.
It would look kinda red-neck

I have a '80 33' Hunter Cherubini with 5.5' draft keel.

Ty in advance for your thoughts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-18-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

Some things to consider are the changes to weight distribution and steering under power.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of Old 08-18-2008
Señor Member

Another consideration is if the weight of the Hunter 33's inboard engine block was originally factored as supplemental to your keel's ballast. Removing the engine would therefore raise the boat's center of balance.

True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat
post #4 of Old 08-18-2008 Thread Starter

Add a fresh water tank and canned goods locker where the engine was?
post #5 of Old 08-18-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

You're still putting significant weight on the stern of the boat.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

post #6 of Old 08-18-2008
Oday30!

You may find a that a new 15- 25 hp outboard is not all that cheap either. storing gas is a big problem too.

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #7 of Old 08-18-2008
ancient mariner

have you checked into overhauling your yanmar? do you have a 2gm 20 or 3gm 30? diesel fuel is a lot safer than storing gasoline. your inboard engine is a lot more dependable than a transom hung outboard. my engine is a 14yr old 2GM20F and i expect it run a loooong time before needing work. you don't say if is using oil or other problems.
post #8 of Old 08-18-2008
Telstar 28

You've got to remember that going to an outboard also gives you a lot less choices and options. An in-board diesel can power a hot water heater, A/C, a larger alternator, water maker, refrigerator and such. Can't do that with an outboard.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #9 of Old 08-18-2008

Smile Why Not

Have you considered to recondition the engine you have while it still works?, if this is too expensive too just slab an engine in the stern, 9,9 is enough if you normally sail and mostly use it for in and out of harbour.

He who has the most fun wins
Kjell

I travelled the pacific with a faulty engine.
Search for trafficated and spetakkel on the net to find me.
post #10 of Old 08-18-2008
'72 Pearson 36

Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar

I ran that on the back of my Pearson 36 for almost 2 years. It does good in protected rivers, but out in the harbour on a rough day it would come out of the water alot. Granted the motor isnt really made for this, or is it long enough. Ive since gotten an extra long shaft 9.9, but ive got to rebuild the bracket since it has rusted pretty bad.

Its your call, but you may have to make a custom bracket to bolt an off the self bracket onto in order to get the motor low enough depending on your transom style. Also dont forget the do some reinforcing to the transom since it wasnt made to hold a motor. Good luck. PM me if you want more info on my bracket.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.