Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-18-2008

Marcvet is on a distinguished road
Question Electric Windlass

I'm planning on replacing my manual windlass with an electric model on my Lord Nelson 35. Does anyone have suggestions as to vertical or horizontal and which make? Or should I just go with one that fits the foot print of the old one?
Thanks,
Marcvet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Would help to know what your running for ground tackle & rode...also what you have for under deck space...a picture of the deck area and bowsprit would help too...

Im going with a pair of these....I will have to reinforce the under decking as Im not using the single central area already designed into the boat...I have a double roller bow spirit and want a lunch hook on mostly rope rode for my currently owned origional 33# Bruce and a storm hook on mostly chain with a future Manson or Ronca at the buisness end...hence the redundancy....The gypsum's will make light work of going aloft and other chores as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Electric Windlass-lewmar-v3.jpg  

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-18-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
First of all, you need to size it to your ground tackle. Then you can decide on orientation and brand.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Marc...My guess is that with dual bow anchors on your sprit, a horizontal will be what you want especially since you need to maintain a good angle on your rode leads which a vertical won't let you do on that boat I don't think.
I have been well satisfied with my Maxwell and I would recommend a "free fall" model rather than a 2-way up and down model to save on electric needs and let you get the hook down in a hurry when you need to.
I do think that all of the major brands have good reputations for reliability so you should focus on what will best fit your foredeck, handle the loads and dump the chain/rode in the place you need it dumped! All of the majors have extensive tech and measurement details on the web for each model they sell. Careful planning and measurement is the key to a good installation. Don't buy anything till you have everything above and below deck worked out measurement wise.
Good luck!
Old 08-18-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I'm in the same boat. Need to replace my manual tigress 555. It's a Simson Lowrance who was bought by Lewmar. I was very underwhelmed by Lowrance support. Felt I was being talked down to.

I had a lot of suggestions on another forum to contact Ideal. WOW!!! Excellent support so far. I have lots of mounting issues and they are helping greatly. They asked for pictures and I sent 6. He spent Sunday night looking over the pix before calling me Monday morn. We talked for at least an hour. They can configure their windlesses many different ways to fit the mounting issues you will have.

If you want 2 chain/rope rodes, you will have limited choices for 2 gypsies on your windlass. Most are rigged for one chain/rope and one for a rope only capstain.

Call Ideal.
Old 08-19-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
I had a similar experience with the folks at Ideal. Whampoa has an Ideal horizontal windlass installed in 1962.

Still going strong after a few years .

Last year I called Ideal to see about obtaining a manual for maintenance and the phone was answered by the grandson of the original founder. We spoke for quite awhile. I gave him the serial number off my windlass and he pulled out the original invoice when it was purchased back in 62. He promptly sent me via email, a pdf copy of the original service manual and specifications for the model that I have.

I enjoy working with folks like that!

I second Xort's recommendation.

Regards, John

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330

Last edited by Whampoa; 08-19-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2012

Atkinsericjr808 is on a distinguished road
How do you keep water from getting below decks (through chain pipe)? I just got a similar windlass and trying to figure out a way to keep the water out before I install it
Old 01-01-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I have 2 hawse pipes [2 anchor chains]. One is closed until needed and the 'lid' of the hawse pipe is taped with self amalgamating tape. -->water tight enough.

The main anchor hawse pipe, I used to stuff a lanolin soaked rag down the hole. It went walkabout so I replaced it with a plastic shopping bag until I cut a rag and soak with lanolin.

If you forget to pull out the rag, it comes out when the chain is released.

I think your concerns are valid - Often the bows are under water and a 2" hole lets too much water in.