Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-18-2008

Mary51 is on a distinguished road
Battery (Odyssey) question no. 92,458

I need to replace 2 Trojan 27TM flooded cell batteries in the next few months.

I've been looking at the PC 1400 Odyssey batteries, available in Group 25 and 35. Each would fit in my battery boxes. And that's the end of what I know. I do not want to change my alternator or charger right now . . .

My shore power charger is: 12 volt 10 amp surge rating 2 bank; 8 amp charge generating intermittent; 5 amps continuous output rating; 13.4 VDC float voltage; 12.0 VDC at 8 amps & 115 VAC line; intermittent rating: 20 minutes; max on time 50% duty cycle; Battery Type: 6 cell lead acid.

My alternator is stock for Volva Penta 2003B 30 hp. (Sorry, forgot to pull the info from the manuals when I was down at the boat). If the shore power charger info doesn't make it "game over" for the Odyssey, I'll get the alternator info.

Anybody? Anybody?

All input gratefully accepted!!

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Forget about it Mary. A waste of $$ for you if you don't have or need a charging system that can take advantage of their characteristics. Get a couple of flooded 27's or cheaper agm's than the odysseys.
What prompted you to WANT the odysseys?
Old 08-18-2008

Longer life, more amp hours - or so I thought . . .

Well, I figured it was not gonna work. I'll just get a couple more Group 27's.

Thanks!

Mary
Old 08-18-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Cam, what she has MIGHT work. If the shore charger is relatively low power (as it is) with a safe float voltage (13.4 usually is) then it probably would work with the AGMs.

Ditto the Volvo alternator with internal regulator: Not efficient, but probably clamped below 14.4 volts and most AGMs will be happy with that these days.

Most, might...these are not the best of criteria. But if the specs for the alternator and charger match the specs for the Odyssey charging, it could work. Not having to play with wet acid is a good thing. Obviously, adding an external regulator to the alternator, and really properly controlling the charging, would be better for any kind of battery.

But with the little information we have...it might just work, don't you think?
Old 08-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
It wasn't so much that it wouldn't work HS...just that you pay a LOT for Odysseys because of their advantages in charging. If you have no ability to take advantage of that, why pay rolls royce prices?
Old 08-19-2008

Point taken. Something else for the "later" list.

Thanks, Cam. I'll just put that on the upgrade list for later. My electrical system will always be simple, but an external regulator [I]could[I] happen. I will definitely be adding some solar and possibly wind generator power sources in a year of so and so best to do it all at once.

Mary
Old 08-20-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Mary-
Sorry to say, if you mix solar + wind + engine all on one boat, charging options became way more complex. Solar panels work best with an MPPT controller, but wind chargers use a "dump" regulator, and alternators use their own regulator which cuts back alternator field current. It can easily become a case of "too many cooks spoil the broth" as each of the devices sees voltage from some other device and then wrongly regulates itself thinking IT was the device providing power.

Over the next year, look carefully at your options, consider ways to use them separately (or at least, see how people are integrating them) because it seems like there is no "one ring to rule them all" on the market yet. And a pricey ring it may be, if it does happen.
Old 08-20-2008

One reason to wait . . .

Thanks, Hellosailor. Having different regulators for different power sources wouldn't be too hard for me. I'm pretty methodical and use a checklist in situations where needed (always).

I am waiting for financial reasons, but also because the technology is constantly changing. I think I could function without a single control for the regulators, but am hoping the solar panels will be getting more bang for the buck (and square footage) if I wait a couple of years.

But the multiple regulators situation is new info to me and something I will keep in mind.

Mary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.