Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-19-2008

groundhog is on a distinguished road
fuel filter system..

I was in this guys boat and he had made this switchable fuel filter system.
It was basically a piece of plywood where he mounted 4 filters and some switches.

There was two paths and in each path was a coarse and fine filter. When one path clogged up, you just switched over to the other side.

I want to make one.
Does anyone have info, suggested part numbers etc?

I also saw the filter boss data sheet. Seems pricey. Maybe it's actually a good deal?

groundhog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
Filter Boss looks interesting:

http://www.ktisystems.com/Articles.asp?ID=122

If I was going to make it myself, and that's probably what I would do, I'd look to McMaster-Carr for manifolds, piping, valves, etc. and Racor for the filters.

McMaster-Carr
Old 08-20-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Though it is a bit pricey, the Filter Boss is well engineered and has the very nice feature of a vacuum pressure guage with alarm in the cockpit that tells you when the filter is starting to clog and fail - thus allowing you to switch to the other filter before the engine dies. Probably has other bells and whistles, too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 08-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
These seem to me to be kind of pricey and rather unnecessary on a sailboat where the engine hours presumably don't get racked up real fast.

If keeping filters clean and servicable is such a problem that you need a "hot standby" then you need to look at your tank, and/or your fuel supplier. Also, if you make a habit of screening your fuel as you load it you can help prevent problems too.

By all means set up a good filter system, it's truly necessary, but good practices should negate the need for a redundant (read costly) set up like that.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-20-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Racor makes a manifold with two filters, vacuum guage, and water sensor alarm. Pricey+++++.
Old 08-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Faster...it all depends. For example, outside the US/Can fuel quality can be quite scary. I used a baha filter in the caribe and it was just scary what crap and how much water was in some of the fuel.
I have been in close quarters motoring situations and lost my engine and believe me, I had no opportunity to sail.
My dual racor system was put together quite easily by my diesel guy for a lot less than the "filter boss" and provdes an extra measure of safety/security. I have spent enough time upside down in 8 ft. seas trying to change filters and bleed the engine. Now, at first sign of a slowdown in RPM's we just throw a couple of handles and change filters at our leisure.
I believe all Caliber yachts come with this system.
Old 08-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Faster...it all depends.....
Point taken, Cam.. I can see that scenario alright. I guess I was thinking more of the typical sailing that most of us do day-to-day.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-20-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
My dual racor system was put together quite easily by my diesel guy for a lot less than the "filter boss" and provdes an extra measure of safety/security. I have spent enough time upside down in 8 ft. seas trying to change filters and bleed the engine. Now, at first sign of a slowdown in RPM's we just throw a couple of handles and change filters at our leisure.
I spent the big bucks for the "filter boss" after having daily engine deaths on my delivery from MD to R.I. Yes.... the PO let the fuel deteriorate in the 2 - 60 gallon tanks, and I should have had the fuel polished before I left (did later in R.I. for $1,000 ) and the tanks cleaned for X $$$ ?, and yada ...yada... yada...... The bottom line for me was Never Again Who or What Ever the fault was.
Now I have totally switchable tank to tank polishing and the switchable filters with warning gauges and alarms. When I thought I had a problem after building the system Andy the owner of FilterBoss (who does live closer to my boat than I do ) came down and helped me diagnose my non-problem.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.