SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   watermaker (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/46229-watermaker.html)

kennyarmes 08-19-2008 06:22 PM

watermaker

does anyone know where i can buy a new watermaker for a small sailboat.
most sites i have found they run 4000.00. i am planning a trip from portland or. to maui hi. next year and need one. we will have 4 people onboard and my water tank is only 50 gal.
any help would be welcomed

erps 08-19-2008 06:43 PM

Price of the watermaker also needs to include the price of the charging system to keep it going during your voyage. Do you have room for additional water tanks? Might be cheaper and more reliable when all things are considered.

sailingdog 08-19-2008 06:44 PM

Kenny-

While a watermaker might be a nice addition, you should probably set the boat up so that you have enough water for the trip regardless of the watermaker, since if it fails, and you don't have enough aboard, bad things will happen. Watermakers aren't reliable enough IMHO to be depended on...and are a luxury.

That said, it would be nice to have one, if you can afford the electrical/engine power it will require to use.

Omatako 08-20-2008 02:27 AM

Whilst I agree with SD that it would be a huge leap of faith to go to sea with a watermaker as your primary supply, there are affordable, small units around that work on battery and draw as little as 4 amps.

Check this one out:

PUR PowerSurvivor 40E

Of importance to me is that even if the power goes down, it can still be manually operated and the only thing that is of real importance is protecting the membrane from pollution which out at sea is not difficult. At 1.5 gallons per hour, it could produce enough for drinking/cooking for 4 people while you're charging your batteries daily.

Andre

camaraderie 08-20-2008 08:06 AM

At $3k plus installation and spares for a 3 week trip...even that one is pretty steep Andre. Betcha his fuel tank is small too! Don't see many other options though as he will want a minimum of 80 gallons and a SAFE capacity of about 150. Maybe some bladder tanks can be stashed under v-berths and settees instead. Since with a small boat and unfavorable weather and/or problems, the trip could last 4 weeks easily and even 5-6...seems like maybe both a watermaker and some extra tankage would be prudent. I would also be looking at a towed generator or solar to supplement my alternator.

capttb 08-20-2008 11:31 AM

Cam mentioned a towed generator and reminded me of a towed watermaker at the attached site, I've never seen one but I'd hate to rely too heavily on any watermaker.
Desalinators. Manual watermakers, yacht desalinators no electrics.

camaraderie 08-20-2008 12:41 PM

Capttb...yeah...if they only worked!
Yachting and Boating World forums: Waterlog Watermaker
and
SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - Waterlog watermaker

sailingdog 08-20-2008 12:43 PM

Capttb-

Just be aware that there have been some reports of non-delivery and quality control issues with the Waterlog watermakers. Also, getting warranty support from them is basically impossible from what I've read on the web. YMMV.

I'd go with a more well established brand, and would recommend you use one that uses off-the-shelf components, rather than proprietary ones...since, if you're long distance cruising in remote parts of the world, the proprietary parts may not be available.
Quote:

Originally Posted by capttb (Post 356444)
Cam mentioned a towed generator and reminded me of a towed watermaker at the attached site, I've never seen one but I'd hate to rely too heavily on any watermaker.
Desalinators. Manual watermakers, yacht desalinators no electrics.

kennyarmes 08-20-2008 01:00 PM

thanks for the advice. i just installed another 50 gal fuel tank to bring my total to 90 gal of fuel. i will look into the bladder type water tank as i have alot of storage space. might look into another tank as well. but still would like to have a backup watermaker just in case.

capttb 08-20-2008 01:09 PM

Kinda thought there were too many moving parts underwater to be reliable.;)