Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-19-2008
my dream

kennyarmes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kennyarmes
watermaker

does anyone know where i can buy a new watermaker for a small sailboat.
most sites i have found they run 4000.00. i am planning a trip from portland or. to maui hi. next year and need one. we will have 4 people onboard and my water tank is only 50 gal.
any help would be welcomed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Price of the watermaker also needs to include the price of the charging system to keep it going during your voyage. Do you have room for additional water tanks? Might be cheaper and more reliable when all things are considered.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kenny-

While a watermaker might be a nice addition, you should probably set the boat up so that you have enough water for the trip regardless of the watermaker, since if it fails, and you don't have enough aboard, bad things will happen. Watermakers aren't reliable enough IMHO to be depended on...and are a luxury.

That said, it would be nice to have one, if you can afford the electrical/engine power it will require to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-20-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Whilst I agree with SD that it would be a huge leap of faith to go to sea with a watermaker as your primary supply, there are affordable, small units around that work on battery and draw as little as 4 amps.

Check this one out:

PUR PowerSurvivor 40E

Of importance to me is that even if the power goes down, it can still be manually operated and the only thing that is of real importance is protecting the membrane from pollution which out at sea is not difficult. At 1.5 gallons per hour, it could produce enough for drinking/cooking for 4 people while you're charging your batteries daily.

Andre
Old 08-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
At $3k plus installation and spares for a 3 week trip...even that one is pretty steep Andre. Betcha his fuel tank is small too! Don't see many other options though as he will want a minimum of 80 gallons and a SAFE capacity of about 150. Maybe some bladder tanks can be stashed under v-berths and settees instead. Since with a small boat and unfavorable weather and/or problems, the trip could last 4 weeks easily and even 5-6...seems like maybe both a watermaker and some extra tankage would be prudent. I would also be looking at a towed generator or solar to supplement my alternator.
Old 08-20-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
Cam mentioned a towed generator and reminded me of a towed watermaker at the attached site, I've never seen one but I'd hate to rely too heavily on any watermaker.
Desalinators. Manual watermakers, yacht desalinators no electrics.
Old 08-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Capttb...yeah...if they only worked!
Yachting and Boating World forums: Waterlog Watermaker
and
SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - Waterlog watermaker
Old 08-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Capttb-

Just be aware that there have been some reports of non-delivery and quality control issues with the Waterlog watermakers. Also, getting warranty support from them is basically impossible from what I've read on the web. YMMV.

I'd go with a more well established brand, and would recommend you use one that uses off-the-shelf components, rather than proprietary ones...since, if you're long distance cruising in remote parts of the world, the proprietary parts may not be available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Cam mentioned a towed generator and reminded me of a towed watermaker at the attached site, I've never seen one but I'd hate to rely too heavily on any watermaker.
Desalinators. Manual watermakers, yacht desalinators no electrics.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-20-2008
my dream

kennyarmes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kennyarmes
thanks for the advice. i just installed another 50 gal fuel tank to bring my total to 90 gal of fuel. i will look into the bladder type water tank as i have alot of storage space. might look into another tank as well. but still would like to have a backup watermaker just in case.
Old 08-20-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
Kinda thought there were too many moving parts underwater to be reliable.