Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-20-2008

robfinora is on a distinguished road
Chris - It looks like you have a closed-loop cooling system with an exchanger. You should be fine. This is easy: The cooling line coming off the engine head that runs to the exchanger is going to be the line you tap into. Redirect this line from the head to first run through the hot water tank loop and then from the hot water tank to the raw-water heat exchanger. So you are just adding 1 hose to the system and its still a closed system when you are done. Again - the cooling line from the head connects to one of the fittings on the tank (either one)....a new hose is added from the other fitting on the tank to where the head-cooling line was previously connected on the exchanger. You are going to loose antifreeze when removing the lines so make sure you catch and replace any lost fluids....also you may need more now that you added hose to your closed system. Also - your tank should be mounted at about the same level as the engine so the flow of water through these lines is consistent.

I would recommend getting a manual for your engine so you can see exactly what i am talking about. Try this link for an online version:
http://www.gomarine.dk/files/QM-QMOperationManual_3.pdf

Good luck- Rob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Once you add the antifreeze loop to the heater it can be hard to remove air from this loop if it's higher than the motor. It can be done, but you may have to add a T and valve to let the air out.
Old 08-20-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Since others have said you have a closed loop coolant on this Yanmar, (I'm not familiar with that model) it is just a matter of connecting the plumbing as described above by Rob. For anyone who has a similar situation with a raw water cooled engine, sure, the engine runs cooler than antifreeze cooled engines. That means your water will not get as hot. But the thermostat on the water heater will shut down at the normal temp (I think 140 F) and it will take a lot less battery to heat water from 100 to 140 than it does to heat from 70 to 140! If you don't use the inverter, warm water is better than cold when you wash up. And by the way, if you have the closed loop cooling system, be careful of the hot water! I think my Perkins diesel runs at 180 degrees, so after several hours of run time my hot water is REALLY hot!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
I have the 2QM20(h) which does not have a fresh water cooling system.

I do have the service manual, but it's on the boat now. I was down at the boat the other day replacing the rear motor mounts when I noticed the connections on the hot water tank and that got me thinking about hooking it up.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Old 08-20-2008

Chris - tough call then. It also depends on how you use your boat. If you run the AC to heat the tank...depending on conditions, it could stay hot for 24 hours. Raw water running through the hot water exchanger is going to take a very long time to get warm. I had mine connected for a while and then disconnected as I didn't want all the extra and unnecessary lines that could just over complicate my cooling system.

- Rob
Old 08-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You need to add shut off valves to the hose at the exchanger connections. This way... if the hose or heater busts a leak, you close the valve and refill your coolant and motor on.
Old 08-20-2008

I'm going to look to see if there are connection points on the motor. If so, then for a few bucks I can run lines over and back and see what I get.

I really only need about 110 degree water once a day, which I can get to in about 10 min of Inverter running while the Alternator "tries" to keep up (Yes. I realize that 1200 watts = 100 amps) but running the motor for 20 min makes up the loss.

On our last and first overnighters, I found we would run the motor in the morning to get out into wind, then run it again when coming up to anchor, so we would have hot water at those times.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Old 08-21-2008

Chris - You will not find any connection points on the motor - you will need to tap into the line as I described above - that is the point where you will find the hotest water. Try it out and let us know how you do.....you may get it.
Old 08-21-2008

Piece of cake.

My Yanmar has a 3/4" ID tube going from the head to the mixing elbow via a thermostat. When the motor gets to 42c it opens and settles at 52c.

These are right on top of the front of the motor.

I should be able to run from there to my water heater and back. I'm not putting in any shut offs, because I never want this shut off by accident.

I am going to put a nipple/nipple union in so I can bypass easily for winterizing or failure.

Endless Hot water here we come.

Chris

- E.B. White
Old 08-22-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
My engine is raw water cooled. The heat exchanger sems to do a fair job of heting the water - although we've only tried it a couple of times to deteremine if it does work. We are on fresh water. It may be that our engine thermostat is set a bit higher than might be the case in salt water. Or perhaps Volvos run hotter than Yanmars ....