Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-20-2008

CellNav is on a distinguished road
Pickling A Gas Tank

The gas tank in my Atomic 4 powered C-27 was giving me problems with sediment. I've since installed a 5 gal plastic tank in the aft lazerette for safety. If the tank leaks, the gas drains overboard instead of pouring into the bilge. I've drained and cleaned the internal steel tank. What can I use to pickle the tank and prevent corrosion? Deisel attracts water and gas defeats the purpose. Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why don't you use fogging oil, since it is basically forumlated to stick to metal surfaces and protect them from corrosion.

FYI, having your gas tank setup so that it drains overboard in the case of a gas leak or spill is probably illegal. The MARPOL convention states that overboard discharge of petroleum based products is illegal and the USCG and EPA can hit you for big fines if it happens. A placard for the law, as required on boats over 26' LOA, like yours, says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellNav View Post
The gas tank in my Atomic 4 powered C-27 was giving me problems with sediment. I've since installed a 5 gal plastic tank in the aft lazerette for safety. If the tank leaks, the gas drains overboard instead of pouring into the bilge. I've drained and cleaned the internal steel tank. What can I use to pickle the tank and prevent corrosion? Deisel attracts water and gas defeats the purpose. Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
Cell,

A few years ago, my dad and I restored a 1942 Willy's Army Jeep. The original gas tank was shot so I welded up another out of steel at work. I took the tank to the local gas tank repair guy who put this red goo inside the tank and sloshed it around and around the tank is now coated with this stuff and it has lasted.
Old 08-20-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
OOps it was a place like this one: Moyer Fuel Tank Renu - antique gas tank repair restoration, classic car gas tanks GASTANK or this stuff: Amazon.com: FUEL TANK SEALER KIT by KBS Coatings :: Stop Gas Tank Rust :: 3-Step System includes KBS Gold Standard Tank Sealer 1 Quart, AquaKlean 2 Quarts & RustBlast 1 Quart :: Seals Up to 25 Gal Metal or Fiberglass Gas Tank: Automotive
Old 08-20-2008

ereuter is on a distinguished road
POR15 makes a gas tank repair kit too.

"http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FTRK"
"Figment" 1978 Pearson 30 #1083

Last edited by ereuter; 08-20-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2008

CellNav is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys!

I know what a discharge placard is Saildog,
What's the difference (in a catastrophic leak) between fuel draining out the boat through a drain hole and fuel being pumped out of the bilge
(except for the potential explosion from the pump kicking on)? Either way your going to have to face the music with the Coast Guard.
Old 08-20-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Mike, the difference between draining overboard and into the bilge, is that at least you get a second chance to catch the spill before it gets out of the bilge. The volatiles from the gasoline may evaporate (from a small or slow spill) and leave just the less explosive portions--which can be absorbed and disposed of.

But, why is anyone talking about tank sealants and pickling when you've installed a PLASTIC tank? Plastic doesn't rust, it doesn't form crud, it doesn't need pickling.

If you are keeping the gasoline for more than 90 days, that does break down and you need to add "stabilant" to the gasoline. The stabilant prevents some of the normal varnishes from forming and compensates for the more volatile compounds (heptane and butane) that normally evaporate from the gasoline.

Use stabilant, keep the tank topped up, and shut both the supply and vent lines when the boat is not in use. You won't need to do anything else. Although I'd still use a filter funnel, baja filter, etc. when fueling up--might as well stop the crud from coming INTO the boat in the first place.