Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-21-2008

Dcneuro is on a distinguished road
Harbor canvas?

I have a Bristol 32, which not unlike many older boats, has a cockpit configuration which does not allow for a reasonable bimini. My main traveler traverses almost at the middle of the cockpit. As such, I have devised, (concocted), a type of "harbor canvas", as I have heard them referred to in the past, which is essentially a sheet of sunbrella canvas, about 6'x6', with eyelets along the front and a sleeve aft. My intent is to lash the front to the deck at the leading edge of the dodger, and probably even go so far as to Velcro it to the front of the dodger, just above the window. The aft end will have an awning pole through it, which will go aft to a block on the back stay, as well as having lines to the cockpit coaming. This configuration will allow use while sailing. Anyone ever done anything like this? It sounds pretty sturdy, although I do anticipate much in the way of lateral instability, (vibration), which in my opinion will be inevitable, and it is a question of how much wind the rig will actually handle once configured.

Any thoughts, better ideas, or hearing from someone with a similar configuration would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dr. S.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2008

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
You pretty much described my bimini on my P35, except mine zippers to the trailing edge of the dodger. My traveler is near the rear of my cockpit so there is no way I could ever sail with it up. We've used it more to protect us from rain than from sun. It has done a surprisingly good job in heavy wind. However, we've only used it on a mooring so we were always pointed into the wind. Not sure how it would handle heavy wind coming off the stern quarter if we were in a slip.

If your traveler is in the middle of the cockpit I don't see how you'll be able to sail with it up, unless you are planning on lowering it everytime you tack. Am I missing something?
Old 08-22-2008

Dcneuro is on a distinguished road
The aft of the canvas will be in front of the traveler and the entire canvas will be under the boom. The port and starboard aft corners of the canvas will be above the lifelines. The only lines that would even remotely be in the way would be the ones going aft to the back stay from these corners, however, there would be enough room to allow the traveler out to the lifelines on a downwind run before it got even close to these lines supporting the canvas to the back stay. I have actually never even let the traveler out this far, so I don't anticipate this being a problem.