Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-23-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Wire condition after 3 years in Hayn fitting...

Thought I would share these pictures for those interested in using mechanical compression fittings. This is especially for all the naysayers that claimed I would be dis-masted if I didn't use gobs of sealant inside the fittings to keep the water "out"

This wire was the lower backstay terminal fitted with a Hayn Hi-mod compression fitting three years ago and has spent time in the tropics, California, and Alaska. There is absolutely no corrosion, just a little bit of dirt and grime, and absolutely no distortion of the wire as evidenced by its ability to return to its normal lay. I cut this length out of my backstay to fit insulators (also Hayn). I think I can be confident I have found the ultimate rigging terminals. Could you disassemble a norseman or staylock and put it back together after 3 years without replacing any parts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
This is good news for me I did all my rigging in Hi-Mod 1 1/2 yrs ago. I also did it by the book (no sealant). Did the little crown and cone inside the fitting distort at all? Hayn says if anything needs replacing it would be the crown or cone.
Old 08-23-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
The crown ring was fine. The key is to not torque them anymore than snug. I spoke with a Hayn tech support guy that said over torquing is one of the most common mistakes people make. It takes a little faith to trust your rig to just "snug" but the proof is in the pudding.
Old 08-24-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Check your shrouds; they tend to collect lots more saltwater spray, and therefore corrode more quickly than backstay terminals. What type of stainless is it?
Old 12-30-2009

winterbuoy is on a distinguished road
Sorry to open an old thread but I have the same problem with my new HI MOD fittings. Just how tight do you make them? I have a problem with just "snug". Does anyone here know the correct way, I have seen all their vids and instructions and all they say is 'tight, but not too tight" What the %ELL does that mean? I emailed them but no answer.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.