Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-23-2008

mstern is on a distinguished road
Centerboard Pendent Attachment

I dove under my Oday 23 this afternoon to see if I could find out why my centerboard pendent wasn't moving. It seems that it has become unattached from the centerboard. The shackle, sans clevis pin, is still attached to the pendent, but the "loop" of stainless that was embedded in the trailing edge of the centerboard (where the pendent attached) is completely gone. Any ideas on how to fix it? I could try and recreate the loop by glassing in a strap or something similar, but I wonder if it might be better to screw in or bolt a stainless strap to the board itself. Anyone ever have to make this fix before? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I'd suggest galvanized rather than stainless for full time underwater use.
Hard to give you specific advice without seeing the boat.
Old 08-24-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Cam - Why galvanized instead of stainless? I would instinctively go to SS since galvanized is a steel core with a coating that can chip or wear off. I've been under the impression that SS is always preferable to galvanized.

My centerboard pendant is attached to the centerboard by stainless fittings. I've not noticed any degradation but am wondering what I'm missing.
Old 08-24-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
My aversion to stainless on anchor swivels and centerboard pendants is due to the propensity for crevice corrosion in an anaerobic environment like one would find on the bottom or inside a centerboard trunk. By all means inspect the galvanized and replace as needed but crevice corrosion can go really quickly. Check this link and pix:
Crevice Corrosion
Here's another on Pascoe's site:
Corrosion - Boats and Yachts Maintenance and Troubleshooting
Old 08-24-2008

Cool. Something to think about. Thanks, Cam.
Old 08-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second cam's suggestion. That's why most anchors are galvanized, not stainless steel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2008

Since the cost differential between galvanized and SS is so great, I suspect that's another reason that most anchors are galvanized. SS sure is pretty, though.
Old 08-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, the usage life of an anchor, anchor shackle, and anchor chain for a long-term cruiser or liveaboard, who will be on the hook for extended periods of time, the stainless is going to cost way more in the long run, since it will probably rust out faster than properly hot-dipped galvanized steel will. Also, you can generally regalvanize chain and anchors a few times before you need to replace them....the same can't be said of Stainless steel anchors or chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Since the cost differential between galvanized and SS is so great, I suspect that's another reason that most anchors are galvanized. SS sure is pretty, though.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2008

mstern is on a distinguished road
The issue for me would be finding a suitably-sized piece of galvanized for this purpose. There are all sorts of stainless pieces of metal from shackles to gudgeons that I might be able to adapt for the purpose, but where to find galvanized? I'm thinking I need a piece maybe 1 inch by 4 inches, maybe an 1/8" thick, with three holes: two to screw into the board, and one for the pendent attachment. Ideally, the piece would be bent, allowing three inches of the piece to lie flat against the board, and the final inch to bend to the middle of the trailing edge before it goes straight back. The centerboard of an Oday 23 is not particularly heavy, so this piece doesn't have to be terribly robust.
Old 08-25-2008
moderate?

mstern...don't agonize over it. If it can only be done in stainless...then buy a couple of spares and inspect more often.