Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-23-2008

bluewhale is on a distinguished road
painting with Pettit Easypoxy

Has anyone had any experience using this product? I tried the primer today on my 1975 fiberglass catamaran in 85 degree weather. The results were not good. It dried very quickly even after thinner was added and the coverage was poor.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2008

paul43 is on a distinguished road
EasyPoxy Application

Used it with good results in 85+ degree weather. Use fine pore sponge roller; roll on a ways, then go back and roll again with almost 'dry' roller; knocks down tiny bubbles, lays out smooth. We happy.
Old 08-23-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I watched a fellow paint a stripe on his boat with EasyPoxy in 60+ degree weather several years ago. After the initial coat, he went back and "tipped" it with a thinned coat using a sponge brush. It looked really good when he was done.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-24-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I painted my transom with it; it was difficult using only a brush. Ended up letting it go on thick then wet sanded and polished it. If I did it over again I would probably roll/tip it to get it on quickly enough. 2+ years and the transom still looks like new.

I also painted the waterline with it; but unfortunately it is starting to chip away at the edge where it meets the gelcoat. Not sure if it is a paint problem or if I did not get the gelcoat adequately prepped along the upper edge.
Old 08-24-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I've used it to repaint my mast and boom. Easy to apply, nice glossy finish and still looks good after five years.
Old 08-24-2008

gmacon is on a distinguished road
Painting advice...

I just finished painting my entire boat w/ the assistance of the owner of the boat yard I am at.

1: Paint in early morning unless what you are painting is in shade or indoors. Never paint a hot surface.

2: NO breeze or wind while you are painting.

3: Roll out paint and have someone following directly behind tipping w/ a 'slightly' wet brush.

4: You will have to live w/ minor imperfections that 99.9% of people will never see. Otherwise you will try to fix something and screw it up even more!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2008

Shortman is on a distinguished road
Great paint

Painted my Cape Dory 10 dinghy that gets left on an outhaul so beaches in low tide 2X day. Darn good shape 6-7 years later. Paint in shade at lower temperatures. These folks 67 Best Domestic Grade White Bristle Paint or Chip Brush have great chip brushes, a little more $$, a lot more quality, don't shed bristles etc.
Old 08-30-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
I just painted my bootstripe in the yard on a sunny day. There was nothing easy about it....

Here's what I did:

I experimented with more and more thinner until it was too runny to stay in place. I found the happy medium was about 15-20% thinner. Notice also as you pour your paint+thinner mixture into your pot the thinner will evaporate from your pot very quickly. Swirl or stir occasionally and if it's not as thin, keep adding more as it evaporated.

I rolled it on in VERY short sections. 10" bootstripe and 2-3 feet at a time only. Immediately it would bubble up like crazy (thinner boiling off). I would wait 20 seconds or so and then brush over it in one direction then again in another. No paint on the brush, just cleaned with thinner and shaken dry.

Repeat the process in short segments. Roll, wait a few seconds, during which time you dip brush in thinner and shake it out. Brush clean brush over paint to remove bubbles, brush over it again.

I needed 2 coats for coverage and it was a pain but it looks really really nice. I knew the job was good when I was looking at my stripe and could recognize the yard boss walking behind me from the reflection in the paint.

If at all possible paint in 50-70deg. Early morning, if there isn't dew is probably best.

Good luck!

Medsailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.