Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-23-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
Norcold vs isotherm fridge

i'm looking to get a 12v fridge for the boat. something small 1.7 to 2.3 cu ft. anyone have any experience with norcold or isotherm. i'm leaning towards the isotherm due to the ASU automatic start system which is supposed to store energy when it senses excess power, such as when the engine is running. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I can only say that I read the actual specs for both and, after some serious consideration and running real numbers, ASU made absolutely no difference to me (and the extra price did).

YMMV but run your own numbers.
Old 08-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would highly recommend you look at Engel as well. Engel and Norcold are fairly similar, since they're made by the same OEM IIRC, and both have generally been rated as tops in PS magazine tests. I have a small Engel aboard my boat and think it is an excellent unit. Most of the Engels are dual voltage, and will run off of 110 VAC or 12 VDC, with a preference to the 110 VAC if it is available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-29-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
SD - Are you talking about a built-in or stand alone Engel unit? I have a huge top loading cooler built into my galley counter, and am fine using ice when we are on the boat, but would like something that can run off shore power during the week so I have some cold beverages available when I first arive and can leave a few other items on the boat when we aren't around.
Old 08-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have an Engel MT27 which is a portable unit, but it is permanently installed in my boat, hardwired to AC and DC systems. It is about the size of a medium cooler. The temp setting runs 0-5, and at anything above 1.25 or so, it acts mostly as a freezer. Fairly quiet, fairly low energy draw.

Looks like this, when not permanently mounted:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-29-2008
Pearson 303

Thanks, now if I could just figure out where to put it.
Old 08-29-2008
Telstar 28

btw, they make a base tray that will lock the unit in place.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-29-2008
Pearson 303

I saw that, and the insulating blanket. My issue is more of where to put it in the saloon where it won't be too intrusive. But I do like the cost much more so than for a refer conversion unit, and it could come in handy for road trips.
Old 08-29-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
sd,
i never pictured you as a blonde
Old 08-29-2008
Telstar 28

Not a blonde...more a chrome dome... used that photo from a commercial website to give a good idea of the unit size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchevron View Post
sd,
i never pictured you as a blonde

Telstar 28
New England