Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-24-2008

wesramm is on a distinguished road
Removing the deck from the Hull for a refit

Hello,
I have a Cal 21 that needs a complete refit. At any rate, I am anal enough to want to restore this thing to beautiful shape. There is a lot of work that needs to be done to the interior, that I think I'll tackle this winter. however, I feel it would be easier (and I'd have more room) if I removed the deck from the hull, and either moved it somewhere else (never mind how), so that I can do the work inside.

Has anyone ever done this? Any advice? It seems like a good idea in theory, but I don't know all the consequences.

Thanks,
Wes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Wes :
Be very careful. The moment you take the deck off, the ship will settle into a different shape, and when you re-fit, you will be re-fitting to that shape. The deck may not go on cleanly again, and the hull will be stiffened by the re-fit to the new shape.
It may not be a problem with a relatively small ship like a 21 foot, but my olde 36 ft ??? I would not risk it, even though I really would like to get the old tanks out of there.
Old 08-24-2008

See, now that's good advice...... I'll have to figure out how to crawl in there to do the work.

And, I have to figure out how to seal the deck / hull interface, but sounds easier than trying to get the deck back on after the hull changes shape...

Thanks,

Wes
Old 08-25-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
If your deck to hull joint is not leaking, with especial attention to the joint in the keel well between hull and cockpit deck, I'd leave it alone. Take a garden hose and attack it with water from all angles to ascertain the integrity of the joints.

Most of the interior of the Cal 21 is easily accessible for any retrofit job, the exception being the aft ends of the quarterberth areas. A very nice and extremely useful remedy to that issue, and one worth your time, is the addition of a hatch directly under your tiller between the two cockpit seats. You'll find that a hatch of about one foot to the side offers great access to the sternsheets area as well as opens it up for stowage of a great deal of gear. I keep my battery and a small gas tank there.

You'll need to reinforce the cockpit benches adjacent to the opening cut out, ideally with some 1/4" marine plywood laminated in with fiberglas to their underside. Between the access from the quarterberths and your new hatch there is very little of the interior you'll not be able to directly reach.

I just took a photo of my hatch today for someone else and as soon as I get the gear back from my wife, and I figure out the intricacies of Flickr or some such thing, I'll post them here.

From working on mine, while on the trailer, I'd advise purchasing an extral length of shop-vac hose so you can have your shop-vac nozzle close to hand as you proceed. I ran my elec. cord up into the boat and then back down to the vac on the ground so I could plug it in as needed. It goes much easier if you can vac out the mess as you go I found.
Old 08-25-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Removing the deck from the hull for a refit is not an activity that is properly described as being anal! "Crazy" might have neen a better choice. Have fun with the refit.
Old 08-25-2008

raisin56 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you have leaks in the deck joint and needs to be resealed. Anyone see a problem with removing the deck, getting at the in accesable areas then resetting the deck prior to major work. Kind of like the best of both worlds?
Old 08-25-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
Did you find the boat with cockpit locker full of money? Just curious

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 09-01-2008

Crazy: perhaps. Over zealous: Yes. Cockpit locker full of money? No......

I like the idea of the hatch. I had to crawl back into the stern underneath the cockpit when I was removing all of the hardware for the boat. Realistically, I don't need to do TOO much in there, but there is all that space that is not used for anything. Honestly, however, the thought of climbing back there for another extended period of time makes me anxious. It's pretty darn uncomfortable in there...

W
Old 09-01-2008

Sailaway, I tried to send you a private message asking to say that I'd be interested in the picture when you get it uploaded. I am still new enough on Sail Net that I am not allowed to send Private Messages.

Thanks, though.

Wes
Old 09-01-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I'm on the case, Wes. You can send PM's now that you've got ten posts. Photos to come soon.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.