SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Stink (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/46372-stink.html)

deniseO30 08-24-2008 04:04 PM

Stink

:confused: I'm still trying to find the cause of a stinky port settee bunk. I think..really, the only logical answer I have is that it's coming from between the hull liner and hull that is behind the back rests. Nothing has killed the smell, I guess because because it's inaccessable. This week I'm going to look and see if it's possible to get inside there with long brushes like those used to clean boilers. Sure could use some ideas on this. Don't really want to cut access holes behind the backrests although I could.

Thanks!

poopdeckpappy 08-24-2008 04:27 PM

Just a thought, don't know if it would work for ya but, Clorox has a product called Green Works, I use it in the shower sump and gray water tank.

Get a small Hudson sprayer and spray between the liner and hull, soak it good and let run, do it as much as you like, then rinse with water, it will all run to the bilge and will pump OB. Green Works is environmentaly safe so no harn, no foul

Kills the bad smell, leaves a good one

camaraderie 08-24-2008 05:36 PM

Are you sure the prior owner actually got off the boat? :D :D :D

deniseO30 08-24-2008 07:43 PM

OMG hope he didn't leave a cat,gerbil,hamster,mouse,ferret, or other
behind!

CalebD 08-25-2008 01:03 AM

I would forget about the bleach and all the other harsh chemicals and give your bilge a bath in 'KO' which is a bacterial head tank treatment. Brush it? Yes. But to stronger chemicals like bleach are just going to kill everything inside and outside your boat (Raritan?).
Save the bleach and water solution for cleaning up mildew. 'KO' kills odors and I have no affiliation with this company.
My experience is that it works well as long as there is enough ventilation for it to do it's job. Not entirely 'green' but better than putting engine oil in the surrounding water.
I find it works great as a holding tank treatment too.

Omatako 08-25-2008 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 358071)
OMG hope he didn't leave a cat,gerbil,hamster,mouse,ferret, or other
behind!

Enduring smells like that are often caused by something dead. Mouse, rat, whatever and it doesn't mean the PO left it, it could have snuck in. It's hard to imagine what else would for no apparent reason start to smell.

On a previous boat we had a small bird crawl into the air intake port into the engine room and got stuck and died. It was easy to find and didn't smell for long but a dead rat or similar will resist just about any chemical treatment and might even be made worse by chemical exposure. They smell bad anyway and are quite durable. If it is something like that and you can't reach it, the smell will eventually go away but it's the thought of the remains in the boat that are a little unpalatable.:mad:

Are there no other signs of "visitors"?

Good luck

Andre

Stillraining 08-25-2008 02:50 AM

Hmmmm...could be we have another makings for a snake on the boat thread...:p