Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-24-2008
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Stink

I'm still trying to find the cause of a stinky port settee bunk. I think..really, the only logical answer I have is that it's coming from between the hull liner and hull that is behind the back rests. Nothing has killed the smell, I guess because because it's inaccessable. This week I'm going to look and see if it's possible to get inside there with long brushes like those used to clean boilers. Sure could use some ideas on this. Don't really want to cut access holes behind the backrests although I could.

Thanks!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 08-24-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Just a thought, don't know if it would work for ya but, Clorox has a product called Green Works, I use it in the shower sump and gray water tank.

Get a small Hudson sprayer and spray between the liner and hull, soak it good and let run, do it as much as you like, then rinse with water, it will all run to the bilge and will pump OB. Green Works is environmentaly safe so no harn, no foul

Kills the bad smell, leaves a good one

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-24-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Are you sure the prior owner actually got off the boat?
Old 08-24-2008
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
OMG hope he didn't leave a cat,gerbil,hamster,mouse,ferret, or other
behind!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I would forget about the bleach and all the other harsh chemicals and give your bilge a bath in 'KO' which is a bacterial head tank treatment. Brush it? Yes. But to stronger chemicals like bleach are just going to kill everything inside and outside your boat (Raritan?).
Save the bleach and water solution for cleaning up mildew. 'KO' kills odors and I have no affiliation with this company.
My experience is that it works well as long as there is enough ventilation for it to do it's job. Not entirely 'green' but better than putting engine oil in the surrounding water.
I find it works great as a holding tank treatment too.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-25-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
OMG hope he didn't leave a cat,gerbil,hamster,mouse,ferret, or other
behind!
Enduring smells like that are often caused by something dead. Mouse, rat, whatever and it doesn't mean the PO left it, it could have snuck in. It's hard to imagine what else would for no apparent reason start to smell.

On a previous boat we had a small bird crawl into the air intake port into the engine room and got stuck and died. It was easy to find and didn't smell for long but a dead rat or similar will resist just about any chemical treatment and might even be made worse by chemical exposure. They smell bad anyway and are quite durable. If it is something like that and you can't reach it, the smell will eventually go away but it's the thought of the remains in the boat that are a little unpalatable.

Are there no other signs of "visitors"?

Good luck

Andre
Old 08-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hmmmm...could be we have another makings for a snake on the boat thread...