Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
Ripped my main sail

So I managed to rip my main sail. I was practicing heaving to and reefing my mainsail. When I look up one of my baton pockets is dangling out and it has ripped around the pocket perfectly just outside the pocket seems. When I bring it in to our local sail maker we notice a small rip starting just above the clew. There are also a few spots where the stitching is loose. So it is looking like 300 worth in repairs for a sail that is close to it last legs.

My question is should I give up on it and buy new or slightly used.
I did up a quote from a site sailright.com
Challenger 23 / 24 / 7.4 /7.5 MAINSAIL Sail Kit
I must be missing something because this seamed very affordable. I also looked for used sails and found this Bacon Sails search results
My local sail maker told me it would be $700 or so for him to make one for me. My question is would a sail from sailrite.com be a good sail and what am I missing in regards to the price?
I am just a curser with a 1978 challenger 7.4 (24.5 ft) with a mainsail with the following dimensions.
Luff 24.4*ft (7437mm)
Foot 9.3*ft (2834mm)
Leech-AftHdBd 25.62*ft (7808mm)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2008

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
Sails

If you can get a new one for $700, definitely do not spend $300 for used or repaired, there is really no comparison. New is drastically better in every way. You will be amazed the difference it will make in how the boat sails. Now, as a hint, when looking for parts for a boat not in production, what I have done in the past is attempt to find Catalina parts that would fit, I used a brand new Catalina boom and mast step on an Ericson I had, for example. Same dimensions and still available from the factory. Catalina Direct is also a good source for many parts. As for sails, a Catalina 25 main is 4" longer on the luff, and 2" longer on the foot than your dimensions. If you have a non-fixed gooseneck it would work fine, and they are available from National Sail Supply for $535, for example.
Old 08-25-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
The point you might be missing is that Sailrite is selling you a sail KIT not a sail. You have to sew it together yourself. You have to factor in the value of your time, determine your access to a heavy duty sewing machine (which might mean buying one) and assess if your skills are up to the task.
Old 08-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
The point you might be missing is that Sailrite is selling you a sail KIT not a sail. You have to sew it together yourself. You have to factor in the value of your time, determine your access to a heavy duty sewing machine (which might mean buying one) and assess if your skills are up to the task.
That makes more sense. I missed that part of the site.
Old 08-25-2008

I will look at my boom and see if it can be lowered as a Catalina 25 main would be nice price wise.
Old 08-25-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
midlifesailor -

Quote:
Sailrite is selling you a sail KIT
Not necessarily true - Sailrite will build the sail for you, if you chose. It's listed as an option on the Web site. On the other hand if you are going to have a sail made, there are a number of reasonably priced mail order sites, including here at SailNet (fx Sails). Sailrite is a great company with very personal service. I highly recommend them, but have not purchased a sail from them.
Old 08-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
midlifesailor -

Not necessarily true - Sailrite will build the sail for you, if you chose. It's listed as an option on the Web site. On the other hand if you are going to have a sail made, there are a number of reasonably priced mail order sites, including here at SailNet (fx Sails). Sailrite is a great company with very personal service. I highly recommend them, but have not purchased a sail from them.
Thanks for the suggestions, the better the price the less flack I will get from my wife.
Old 08-25-2008

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Well, ya’ know, when my sails need some attention, which they always seem to do these days, I get out the ditty-bag, pour me a tall glass of grog, light the pipe and spend a lovely afternoon stitchin’ ‘er up. Now, I ain’t sayin’ that’s what ye’ should do, yea, go ahead and buy yerself a new main, BUT take back the old one and fix it yerself! You’ll learn a bit about what to do the next time yer of on the briny, a billion miles from a sailmaker when a sail lets go and you’ll have a spare to boot! DO IT!

PoCA
Old 08-25-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I learned how to sew in 1978 when my Dad and I blew the gooseneck of our Catalina 30 near Montauk. We tore 3' of mainsail luff at the seam. I bought a palm, needle, and thread an learned how to sew a blanket stitch later that day. Been sewing ever since. About 6 years ago, I bought a Sailrite machine and made all the covers for Victoria and our last boat. I plan to make a mainsail next from a Sailrite kit.

Definitely learn how to sew. It will save you bucks and give you a great sense of pride.
Old 08-25-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
midlifesailor -

In my best Johnny Carson impression..."I did not know that!"