Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-25-2002

tondelayo29 is on a distinguished road
Bosun''''s Chair Saftey

I am a bit suprised at the lack of available information dealing with the proper usage of the Bosun''s Chair.
I have watched a few being used from afar and have read some precautions. But, as far as some good straight forward suggestions or instructions for proper usage.....I have found none.

How about some help here.......I do have a need to use it right now....but am a little apprehensive at suspending my self 42'' above the deck at my present level of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Bosun''''s Chair Saftey

i usually go up on 2 halyards both tied on to the chair. i use one to lift the chair and the other i take up every 5 feet on the way up as a safety.
same on the way down.
eric
Old 07-25-2002
Sloopy

sailsail is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailsail
Bosun''''s Chair Saftey

hi kimberlite hows the AMEL coming along... hehehehe... Remember me the guy who made fun of skip?

AS a rockclimber/scubadiver/sailor I can tell you that you should get a rockclibing harnesand take a climbing class, to get confortable with it. you will not be as afraid to go up the mast, or doing, it while heeling twenty degrese, freeing a fouledhalyard from the upper spreaders
Old 07-25-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Bosun''''s Chair Saftey

picked up the Amel in La Rochelle France june 22 and plan on sailing down th coast to the canaries and to the carib in january.
she is a beauty.
eric
Old 07-25-2002
Sloopy

sailsail is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailsail
Bosun''''s Chair Saftey

nice, will you bring her back to the states? must be a buity, all that luxery... yeah I know, your sailing her righ now sitting down at home... controling itfrom a computer... MUST BE NICE, you can go sailing without doing anything.... please don''t tell me you have flat screen T.V''s!!!! and a Carbon fibre mast!!!! does the tartan list still sell the dartboards with a picure of me on them?
Old 07-26-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Bosun''''s Chair Saftey

tondelayo29,

I''ll gladly share what I have read, if that helps:

1. Always tie the halyard to the chair with a secure bowline (do not trust a snap shackle - although a properly secured screw shackle could be OK).

2. Use a spare halyard as a safety line.

3. If you''re having someone hoist you up, have them use a winch which is not directly below you (you drop a tool on his/her head and you might both wind up hurt).

4. Use a strap around the mast to support yourself on the way up and down in case the halyard fails for some reason (even with a spare halyard rigged, the strap will prevent you from swinging far if the boat should rock from a wake)

5. Use the strap or other line to tie yourself off at the desired level of the mast while working (safer and keeps you from swinging around while you work).

6. Use a good tool belt with secure pockets so you don''t drop your tools.

7. Use common sense about when to go aloft (weather, wave/wake action, etc.)

Hope this helps. If I missed anything, maybe someone else can chime in.

Duane
Old 08-10-2002

Constantin is on a distinguished road
Bosun''''s Chair Saftey

Six additional thoughts:

1. Wear a climbing harness on the backup rope, but sit in a "bosuns chair" that is tied to the primary (because most bosuns chairs are more comfortable than harnesses on extended loft excercises).

2. Consider carefully what halyard you''ll use to ascend the mast. Some don''t go all the way up/stop short due to rollerfurling, etc. gear attached at top.

3. If possible, tie the tools to the bosuns chair. Many wrenches, etc. have holes in them for this purpose. Even if you don''t hit anyone below, the tool will damage the deck, cost you time, and may even go overboard!

4. Bring a camera. Photograph anything that puzzles you to bring to an expert. Besides, it''s a good record to have of the rigging, etc.

5. Some daredevils use the bosuns chair to stand on while working on the very top of mast. In this case, you''d better be tied off twice with the backup climbing harness. I don''t recommend putting yourself at risk like this.

6. If you''re not completely familiar with the procedures involved in hoisting someone above deck (i.e. do it at least once every two weeks or more often), hire a professional to show you how. It''s not just the gear and how to attach it but communication, etc. The wealth of information that is conveyed in one proper session cannot be condensed into a post here.

So, even if you think you know, ask again. Your life might depend on it.