Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
You mention 'high voltage'; It sounds like your voltage regulator went away. .
That being the case, I suspect the wires that fried are probably the ones to your voltmeter and ammeter (if you have one).
Before you even think about starting the engine again, take a hard look at the battery cables all the way from the battery posts to wherever they terminate. Take a hard look at your main DC wire run to your circuit breaker panel, also, and the wiring on the back of the panel to make sure nothing else is fried.
Once you've checked all of the other wiring, you can go about taking a look at your engine control panel or whatever. Those are usually color coded, and someone here probably has the color codes for your Yanmar. Find out what fried. You can remove and replace the wires, but unless and until the real problem has been fixed, they'll just cook themselves again if you start the engine.
Like I said, I suspect your alternator/regulator have failed. You should never see more than about 14.4 Volt DC coming from an alternator, so that's where I'd start.
Good luck. If I were closer, I'd be happy to come and help, but the Chesapeake is a fur piece off for me, and I don't have any friendly contacts in that neighborhood.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.