SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Totally not sailing related question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/46452-totally-not-sailing-related-question.html)

poopdeckpappy 08-26-2008 11:36 PM

Totally not sailing related question

I have a 05 Titan truck, tonight when I was leaving the office the batt was dead, I jumped started the truck and drove home 71 miles with traffic so about 1.5 hours running.

After arriving here, I shut it off and tried to restart it, again dead batt, now if I remember correctly, if it continues to run after removing the jumper cables it's a bad batt that's not holding the charge, if it dies after removing jumpers, it's a bad alternator.

The question is....... does the above senarios still hold true,

ianhlnd 08-26-2008 11:42 PM

Hmmm, let me think.

If you remove the battery cables after it's started and it dies, it's the alternator.

If it keeps running with the battery disconnected, probably the battery.

denby 08-26-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy (Post 359108)
I have a 05 Titan truck, tonight when I was leaving the office the batt was dead, I jumped started the truck and drove home 71 miles with traffic so about 1.5 hours running.

After arriving here, I shut it off and tried to restart it, again dead batt, now if I remember correctly, if it continues to run after removing the jumper cables it's a bad batt that's not holding the charge, if it dies after removing jumpers, it's a bad alternator.

The question is....... does the above senarios still hold true,

Yes it does, if it were a bad alternator you would not get home.:eek:

blt2ski 08-26-2008 11:44 PM

Ian,

Do not think too hard about this question, as you may pull a brain muscle, nobody likes that scenario!

With that in mind, I would say the bat is dead! That is also NOT to say the alt is not working either! but more than likely just the battery.

marty

poopdeckpappy 08-26-2008 11:47 PM

AHHhhh, right on, I can handle a batt swap,

Thanks guys

poopdeckpappy 08-26-2008 11:48 PM

Hey ianhlnd, where've ya been ???, still down south ???

brak 08-27-2008 12:29 AM

i have this issue with my van. basically alternator puts out enough voltage to keep things running but not quite enough to efficiently charge the battery. must be the internal regulator problem.

seabreeze_97 08-27-2008 12:46 AM

Defective or not, once run down it's toast now. You may bring back a heavier, better quality aftermarket battery somewhat, but excess discharging causes sulfate deposits on the lead plates and it will not accept a charge. Take the opportunity to upgrade to a gel or AGM unit, or at least a better conventional battery.
Same thing happens as batteries age. You lose plate surface area, so an older one won't supply enough power, or take a charge like it did when new.

poopdeckpappy 08-27-2008 02:12 AM

See now ya got me worried again brak

What I'll do is hop in the dink in the morning and find a compatible battery, then head to the mechanic and see if he can check the output on the alt.

I hate cars

Stillraining 08-27-2008 02:16 AM

pappy just put your volt meter on the battrie posts when she's running should be 13.8 to 14.2v even with a bad battrie in place. If it is it aint the alternator.