Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-28-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Increasing purchase on cunningham and outhaul.

I'd like to invest in some new tackle that will allow me to adjust these 2 controls while in a good stiff breeze. Currently the cunningham looks like this

2:1? There is an eye strap in the upper left corner, a ss cleat on the mast in the upper right, and a small "cheek"? block (white) in the lower right. No chance to adjust, even in moderate wind. I'd like to add another block where the current cleat is on the mast and then run the control back to the cockpit where I could use anytype of cleat I wanted.

The outhaul eases just fine, but flattening the sail when you need to (higher winds) is impossible. The cleats are horrible. If there's been a load applied they do not like to let go, and some are even bending under the loads.

Few questions:
1. cleat selections. Needs to be something that I can mount on the boom or on the deck that releases with ease, no matter the load.

2. blocks. Having a smaller boat, I don't need rockstar big money stuff, just things that work, for a decent price. My outhaul is "in-boom" so increasing the purchase on that will take some thinking. What do you suggest?

3. Outhaul is currently wire spliced to rope before exiting the boom. Would it be wise to just buy a strong lightweight line to replace it? I also use this attachment to raise and lower the mast, so a safety factor in line size would be a good idea.

Last edited by zz4gta; 08-28-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Trev,
You trying to save money by adding adjusting gear instead of a new sail that hasn't lost it's shape?

Go with spinlock type 'cleating', best bet for release under load.

I have a small 3:1 block set up I use for spots when I want more purchase (lifting things (man overboard, outboards, supplies or pulling in a jib with a barber haul etc..) I simply tie it onto a line/sheet/halyard and pull. In your case a timber hitch to your existing cunningham line would do the trick.

It's small, portable, and most of all multifunctional - a good thing on a small light boat like yours.

A set of 3:1 blocks and 15 feet of 3/8 inch line is all it took to make it (about 30 bucks). Eyespliced it up myself one afternoon while bored and sipping Rum.

Another suggestion would be to re-run your outhaul with spectra it will be strong enough in the small size you need to do both duties, and replace the wire.
Old 08-28-2008

I sure hope I'm not trying to fix a blown out sail with tackle, I've talked to a few sailors who've been doing it for a while, and they commented on what good shape my sails where in. It would be different if I could adjust the cunni and didn't see a change, but I can't adjust it, even in a light breeze. The outhaul I can adjust and see a definite change in lighter winds (when I don't need it).

I like your idea of a "do it all" purchase, definitely cost effective, but I think I'm looking for something a little more permenant, that can be used while racing. I still may put one together, as it has so many different uses.

Last edited by zz4gta; 08-28-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
ZZ I have in boom out hall as well it is rigged like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Increasing purchase on cunningham and outhaul.-out-haul-drawing.jpg  
Old 08-28-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Didn't mean to disparage your sail, you mentioned in an earlier thread that it was rather drafty
Old 08-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to lead the lines aft to the cockpit, so you can control them from there... don't bother with all the fancy blocks and such...just lead them to a winch...and use the winch for leverage. I removed the internal block and tackle setup from my outhaul, which was almost exactly what is in stillraining's drawing, since i have the outhaul led back to a Lewmar winch. Use the sheave that removing the block and tackle freed up for my third reef.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-29-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Our outhaul comes out under the boom, heads aft thru a spinlock cleat, then to a small sheave. Grab the line just aft the cleat and give it a sharp tug down and it releases. Push on part of the cleat to re-engage. Haul down on the line aft the sheave to trim. I've never had any problem fully-trimming the foot with our outhaul rigging, even into the wind.

Can't help you with the cunningham. I've yet to rig one on our boat. Something I need to look into. I do have the Schaefer fiddle blocks that used to be on our mainsheet. With a bit of line and a couple hooks I'd have a cunningham. Might be a mite >< overkill, tho .

Jim
Old 08-30-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
You can use fiddle blocks to get 4:1 or 5:1 purchase; the upper one that attaches to the cunningham eye should have a sail hook rigged onto the end so you can attach it after you have hoisted the sail. Either cleat the bitter end off to the mast or route it back to the cockpit so you can adjust it while sailing.
Old 02-26-2009

Update: Outhaul

I put something together the other night. Not finished, but you get the idea. Simple, light, easy to adjust and install, cheap too.

Last edited by zz4gta; 02-26-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2009

Sorry about the photo size.

I think I may add another block for the cunningham but double end it to be adjusted from either side.