Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-26-2002

gto2 is on a distinguished road
replacing deck non-skid

own a 36'' westerly corsair with lots of treadmaster no-skid on deck. due to cost & need to repaint deck area, etc. i am exploring options to replacing the treadmaster. anyone had good luck with an alternative. also what is best way remove the old treadmaster.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
replacing deck non-skid

I''d suggest you start by looking closer at what you''ve got. Peel back a section of the Treadmaster - you''ll be replacing it anyway, right? - so you can both examine the condition of the deck under the covering and also experiment with the adhesive used to anchor the Treadmaster. How easy is it to remove mechanically? Will it respond chemically, e.g. to an agressive solvent? Call the Treadmaster distributor and explore what they recommend, on the chance it was installed IAW their instructions.

Playing with removal of the existing material will also tell you what a workable approach might be for the next treatment. E.g. if agressive mechanical removal is required, then you''re probably looking at using an especially agressive non-skid additive if repainting, since the original non-skid pattern may be wiped by the adhesive removal. Or it may make you reconsider using Treadmaster again, despite the cost. OTOH if the old adhesive will respond chemically, you might be (re)starting with original molded-in non-skid working for you.

Good luck; this sounds like a challenging project. Also sounds like you''ll make a huge improvement in the boat''s appearance and functionality when you''re done.

Jack
Old 08-02-2002

mrputzo is on a distinguished road
replacing deck non-skid

I am in the process of redoing my fiberglass non-skid decks. After much worry,research and soul searching I decided to sand off the old non skid pattern and apply a product called Ultra-Tuff. (www.ultratuff.com). Its a roll or spray on rubberized material with bits of rubber in it. I likeed the look and spoke to several other boat owners who have used it and they seem to vouch for it''s effectiveness. The sanding is the worst part but it sounds like you are going to do that any way.
Old 08-03-2002

bcarli is on a distinguished road
replacing deck non-skid

Hi
I removed the non skid from our 48 foot sailboay last winter, I started by using a heat gun and a putty knife and it came off pretty good, because we have a steel boat I also used some paint remover, but not on the perimeter so it wouldn''t bled over to the paint, this system worked really well
bill
Old 08-22-2002

duka is on a distinguished road
replacing deck non-skid

sabre 28 wheel to tiller conversion. i need to know who has the parts i.e. rudder cap and tiller straps rudder stock is 17/8 inch would like to sell the wheel and quadrent for same i have the compass and a teak table that gose with ? johnmoore2000athotmail.com