Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-30-2008
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Swing Keel Bangin sound and Mooring Question

Having just ran a search, I see that a clunking or banging sound from a swing keel boat is common.

I just bought a 1998 Hunter 240 and have been spending every night on it I can. I'm being kept up at night thinking my boat is bashing itself apart while I sleep. First I thought it was my ruder.... now I found out it is my swing keel moving around. Should I be concerned? Is this cause to instantly pull my boat out of the water and have it fixed? How much is too much?

Also, is it ok to have my keel pulled up at my mooring? If I pull it up the banging stops, but I don't think it was designed to be pulled up all the time. Is this better than letting it move around?

Thanks for the help.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2008

newpbs is on a distinguished road
Matt,

We sailed my father's 1969 Irwin for over 15 years. Stout Fella, the 31 foot Irwin, had a swing keel. Every time we came into harbor we raised the board and pulled into our slip. We always raised and lowered the board with every sail. I think you should raise the board to simply protect it from damaging itself every time is bounces back and forth. You will also get better sleep too.

Good Luck,
Paul
Old 08-30-2008
Just a Sailer

somers12 is on a distinguished road
My swing keel does that too. Try tightening the winch one turn. The banging should stop. Wind her a bit more if it doesn't

Steve
Old 08-30-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Centerboards..

Centerboard and swing keel boats should have the board up while at the mooring. There have been more than a few cases of the board fracturing the centerboard trunk in sloppy seas from the back and forth motion. We had an O'day mariner sink in front of our house because the owner left the board down and it eventually fractured the trunk housing and sunk the boat..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-31-2008

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Its also a good idea to regularly raise and lower the board to discourage marine growth from fouling the centerboard trunk.
Old 08-31-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
It might need new wear bushings and is sloping side to side not for and aft.

Did that on mine was told it should be better now..well find out pretty soon
Old 08-31-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Which way is the motion? Side to side should be looked at, as mentioned above. Fore and aft might be remedied by either pinning the keel down or winch tension depending on your set-up. I disagree with halekai on raising it unless for a compelling reason-you're raising your ballast and you'll also have a boat that is far more prone to veering all over on her mooring.

I'm not familiar with the Hunter and so cannot speak to that boat specifically.
Old 08-31-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
As Still said, it's probably slopping side to side and will need new bushings next time you haul out. It's not a huge job.

If you can get access to the top of the case with the board down, you could push a wedge (cheap rubber door-stops are ideal) either side of the plate as a temporary measure whilst sailing and sleeping - but don't forget to pull them out before trying to raise it again.

Bear in mind that a banging keel it's not only noisy but slow (you won't be winning any races with the board flopping around).

Cameron
Old 09-01-2008
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
I cant figure out if it is side to side or up and down. I'll have it looked at when I pull the boat out this year. Until then, I'll just keep pulling up the board when I'm at my mooring.

Man, I love this site.... you guys are the best!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.