Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-01-2008

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
My New Boat Name: Noah's Ark

OK, you may remember the last thread I started here, Snake on a Boat. It seems that my boat has become Noah's Ark and attracts all the wildlife. The Great Blue Herons have taken to hanging out on my bimini top. Anyone have any ideas to discourage that behavior?

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Get the snake back.

I lost track. Did you ever find the snake? I had a wasp nest in the boat last month. Did not want to use a fogger because of the pesticide residue. Didn't want to use the point and shoot stuff because I've been stung to many times to go that way again . . . and it really leaves a hard to clean mess. A friend suggested the canister that drops into the little plastic cup of water to emit a gas. No residue or odor whatsoever when the treatment is complete. Absolute zero life in the boat following that stuff. I’m sold! I dropped the canister in, ran out of the boat and taped the hatch boards to keep the little buggers from getting out. A few still found an opening I didn’t know about in the lazarette but still . . . 100 percent success. Even the wasps that got out died on the dock. The reason I bring this up is because I was choking from the fumes outside of the boat. Nothing could survive that stuff including snakes. If you ever get another snake throw a canister of that stuff in and leave the snake a way out.

Good luck on the Heron.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 09-01-2008

Never found the snake and no more signs of the snake. I ended up using a bug bomb in my boat. I did find two dead cockroaches after that.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

Old 09-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're actually lucky you had the snake... or you would have had hundreds of cockroaches aboard soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
Never found the snake and no more signs of the snake. I ended up using a bug bomb in my boat. I did find two dead cockroaches after that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-01-2008
Salty Dog

Saildoggie is on a distinguished road
I have been very successful eeping herons, hawks and even racoons out of my koi pond using CD's strung on fishing line.

I get plenty enough of them in the mail from AOL, etc. They rotate with the slightest of breeze and put out a reflection that some say is seen like a big eye to preditors.

Even at night they pick up the slightest amount of light and beam it out like a lighthouse onto surrounding surfaces.

Hang a couple off your main topping lift and let us know how it works!!

Old 09-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saildoggie View Post
I have been very successful eeping herons, hawks and even racoons out of my koi pond using CD's strung on fishing line.

I get plenty enough of them in the mail from AOL, etc. They rotate with the slightest of breeze and put out a reflection that some say is seen like a big eye to preditors.

Even at night they pick up the slightest amount of light and beam it out like a lighthouse onto surrounding surfaces.

Hang a couple off your main topping lift and let us know how it works!!
I'll do that next weekend. I'll let you know how it works.

Old 09-01-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
That or a 12ga shotgun.... :-)
Old 09-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyka200s View Post
That or a 12ga shotgun.... :-)
That would be much more fun but I think the neighbors wouldn't like it!

Old 09-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Either would the game warden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
That would be much more fun but I think the neighbors wouldn't like it!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.