SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cutlass Bearing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/46669-cutlass-bearing.html)

latitude_chaser 09-02-2008 08:06 AM

Cutlass Bearing

Need info on cutlass bearing replacement on my Morgan O/I 33. Shaft is bouncing around a bit. I'm currently trying to get across the Okeechobee Waterway and am wondering if I need to find a place to get this done (any suggestions) or just keep going and get it fixed later. I still have 2 days of non-stop 12 hour motoring days ahead of me.
So what do ya think?

Rick and Kristen
Tiki
Tired | Kristen and Rick's Great Adventure

trantor12020 09-02-2008 08:18 AM

my cutlass is also wore (3mm play) so to prevent unbalanced prop and bouncing, I clean the prop regularly, removing even the smallest of barnacles. That helps alot.

Sabreman 09-02-2008 10:21 AM

I would get it done sooner rather than later. At 2000-3000 RPM a shaft banging around will stress the transmission and perhaps stuffing box. I'd hate to have the trans go out for what amounts to a simple repair. Depends on the amount of "bouncing".

As far as I know, cutlass bearing replacement can not be done it the water, so the boat will have to be hauled and the prop pulled. A good yard will have a hydraulic extractor that does not require pulling the shaft too. Once they have the new bearing in hand and the boat out of the water, the actual replacement should only take about an hour or so.

If you don't have to be somewhere, it may make sense to stop. On the other hand, I expect that you're trying to get out of the way of Hanna. Best of luck!! Be safe.

DrB 09-02-2008 11:31 AM

Cutlass Bearing

Mine is starting to go also. I don't think that I have 3 mm of play like trantor12020's does (that seems excessive), but mine was diagnosed as a little worn last June when I bought the boat.

I started noticing more vibration at speeds in excess of 2500 rpm (Yanmar 3GM30F), so I dove this weekend and quickly inspected the prop, shaft, and zincs. Prop felt clean, shaft had some hard crusty crud on it that I rubbed off with my leather gloves, and the zincs felt okay and were intact. I didn't have a dive mask, so my vision was somewhat murky. Motor feels a smoother now up to about 2900 rpm, then vibration begins again. I plan on replacing the bearing this winter anyway and since I have only about 8 more sails left until the boat is hauled, I am going to baby the tranny/shaft and not run it under load more than 2200 rpm.

So I recommend first taking a swim and cleaning the shaft and prop of any stuff. Even a small amount of debris will throw off the center of balance of the rotating shaft/prop significantly.

DrB

fullkeel7 09-02-2008 01:04 PM

Rick and Kristen,

Decided against the Keys huh? I don't blame you with all the activity south.

Not sure of where on the waterway you are but if you're just west of La Belle, Joe at LaBelle Hatchee Marina says no haul out until you get to Ortona Lock. Glades Boat Works, according to Joe, will haul you out and says you can't miss it. They are a DIY marina or you can hire out the work.

Next stop before the lake would be Moore Haven but I haven't been there in years. If you're on the lake, Indiantown is about 20 miles east of the lake and is a full service facility. At last visit, you could DIY. It's a good place to hide out in a storm as well. Indiantown's number is 772-597-2455 and they said if you can get there before Thursday, there would be no problem on the haul out due to the weather they're expecting. That would be my choice if the Glades Boat Works does't work out.

Sorry, that's all the info I have, others more familiar may have better ideas. Good luck.....Bob

latitude_chaser 09-11-2008 03:07 PM

Thanks for all of the input, guys. And I apologize for the delay in replying. We have the boat in a slip and intend to hit Glades in Nov to replace the bearing. The amount of play at or above 2000 rpm was alarming. As we have no prop shaft exposed, I'm hoping that some of this vibration and play was caused by crap on the prop! But I think the gators in Port LaBelle will keep me from diving to clean her up!

latitude_chaser 09-11-2008 03:22 PM

Follow-up Question

Need to find the size of cutlass bearing I need as I want to have it on hand when I haul out. Any help?:D

GBurton 09-11-2008 04:35 PM

Shaft size will give you ID.... do you have a strut?

latitude_chaser 09-11-2008 07:40 PM

No strut and thanks for the tip on the diameter.

GBurton 09-12-2008 12:35 AM

Sometimes the cutless bearing sticks out past the stern tube....if the water is clear you might be able to see if yours does. Then you have to get in the water and measure the OD.....or call someone with a boat like yours and ask them. A user group maybe? It could still be different though....best to measure your own.