SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cockpit Lighting (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/46674-cockpit-lighting.html)

SVCarolena 09-02-2008 11:03 AM

Cockpit Lighting

With days getting shorter, I think it may be time to add some cockpit lighting to our Pearson 303 for evenings at the marina or on the hook. Considering LED flushmount downlights near the floor on each side of the cockpit. Maybe one set in white and another in red. Has anyone installed these? Thoughts on other lighting options?

camaraderie 09-02-2008 11:34 AM

This works well and will go 10 hours on 1 amp!
Davis - Marine - Mega Light™ Ultimate Cockpit
http://www.davisnet.com/productpics/big/03320.jpg

SVCarolena 09-02-2008 12:02 PM

Thanks, Cam. I've seen the Davis light and it seems to be very popluar. I have a plug just inside the companionway and could probably hang it from the boom for entertaining. Is this what CD uses to keep an eye on his steaks on the BBQ?

Another option I've considered is installing lights inside my coaming boxes. Again, anyone tried this?

speciald 09-02-2008 12:24 PM

I bought some stick on LCD lights at Home Depot that I mounted under by pedestal that has "wings" on either side. These lights use AAA batteries. They probably won't last forever in a salt water enviornment but, so what, they were cheap. They have two brightness settings. I guess the lens could be painted red.

DrB 09-02-2008 12:35 PM

I use one of these.

Battery Lantern.

Works great for everything except for reading.

I hang it from the end of the boom.

DrB

Cruisingdad 09-02-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVCarolena (Post 361797)
With days getting shorter, I think it may be time to add some cockpit lighting to our Pearson 303 for evenings at the marina or on the hook. Considering LED flushmount downlights near the floor on each side of the cockpit. Maybe one set in white and another in red. Has anyone installed these? Thoughts on other lighting options?

I installed the LED flushmounts on both our solar arch and the cockpit.

I used an LED blue for the arch. It shines down on the transom and is great for night-boardings with the dink. The blue also will not confuse with navigation - important to remember when deciding placement of the lights.

For the cockpit, we used an orange light which does not atract the bugs "as much" as white lights or other colors. I also chose this color so that it could not in any way be confused with navigational lights. We leave both of these lights on while away from the boat at night or while making headway at night. Remember it does not take a lot of lighting because your eyes will adjust and a bright light will mess up your night vision. I think red is the best choice for night vision, but the orange really has no effect on our vision either.

The draw on these lights is very low.

- CD

PS I do not use lighting for my grill. Once you are as good as I am, you can just use the force to know when they are done!!!

k1vsk 09-02-2008 01:15 PM

Depending on your available power capacity (not that it should make much difference at the dock), you can use string lights would around the dodger or bimini bows. This is quite a popular method around these parts, produces a well dispersed light throughout the cockpit, can be had in multiple colors and uses minimal power albeit usually at 110VAC. Through our inverter at anchor, the demand is around 4 amp hrs which with a 500 amp bank, is trivial to my mind, particularly when one considers they are one for only an hr or two usually.

The biggest advantage would be thw wide area, unform coverage compared with other options

SVCarolena 09-02-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 361854)
PS I do not use lighting for my grill. Once you are as good as I am, you can just use the force to know when they are done!!!

Perhaps one day I too will learn to harness the power of the force. Then again, if I had the power I guess I would have no need for additional lighting (then it would be necessary only for my mere mortal guests).

Rope lighting on the bimini sounds like an interesting option. However, at least for now, a bimini is on my winter wish list.

teshannon 09-02-2008 01:31 PM

I have a solar powered light that I bought for about 35$. Can't remember where I got it but it comes with a bracket for mounting on the bimini frame. Provides pretty good light and never needs batteries.

retclt 09-02-2008 01:39 PM

I have seen Trailer brake lights used. You can get a small one (non LED) for about 5 bucks. That would work great for a locker.