Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-02-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Cockpit Lighting

With days getting shorter, I think it may be time to add some cockpit lighting to our Pearson 303 for evenings at the marina or on the hook. Considering LED flushmount downlights near the floor on each side of the cockpit. Maybe one set in white and another in red. Has anyone installed these? Thoughts on other lighting options?

Last edited by SVCarolena; 09-02-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
This works well and will go 10 hours on 1 amp!
Davis - Marine - Mega Light™ Ultimate Cockpit
Old 09-02-2008
Pearson 303

Thanks, Cam. I've seen the Davis light and it seems to be very popluar. I have a plug just inside the companionway and could probably hang it from the boom for entertaining. Is this what CD uses to keep an eye on his steaks on the BBQ?

Another option I've considered is installing lights inside my coaming boxes. Again, anyone tried this?
Old 09-02-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I bought some stick on LCD lights at Home Depot that I mounted under by pedestal that has "wings" on either side. These lights use AAA batteries. They probably won't last forever in a salt water enviornment but, so what, they were cheap. They have two brightness settings. I guess the lens could be painted red.
Old 09-02-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
I use one of these.

Battery Lantern.

Works great for everything except for reading.

I hang it from the end of the boom.

DrB
Old 09-02-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
With days getting shorter, I think it may be time to add some cockpit lighting to our Pearson 303 for evenings at the marina or on the hook. Considering LED flushmount downlights near the floor on each side of the cockpit. Maybe one set in white and another in red. Has anyone installed these? Thoughts on other lighting options?
I installed the LED flushmounts on both our solar arch and the cockpit.

I used an LED blue for the arch. It shines down on the transom and is great for night-boardings with the dink. The blue also will not confuse with navigation - important to remember when deciding placement of the lights.

For the cockpit, we used an orange light which does not atract the bugs "as much" as white lights or other colors. I also chose this color so that it could not in any way be confused with navigational lights. We leave both of these lights on while away from the boat at night or while making headway at night. Remember it does not take a lot of lighting because your eyes will adjust and a bright light will mess up your night vision. I think red is the best choice for night vision, but the orange really has no effect on our vision either.

The draw on these lights is very low.

- CD

PS I do not use lighting for my grill. Once you are as good as I am, you can just use the force to know when they are done!!!

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-02-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Depending on your available power capacity (not that it should make much difference at the dock), you can use string lights would around the dodger or bimini bows. This is quite a popular method around these parts, produces a well dispersed light throughout the cockpit, can be had in multiple colors and uses minimal power albeit usually at 110VAC. Through our inverter at anchor, the demand is around 4 amp hrs which with a 500 amp bank, is trivial to my mind, particularly when one considers they are one for only an hr or two usually.

The biggest advantage would be thw wide area, unform coverage compared with other options
Old 09-02-2008
Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
PS I do not use lighting for my grill. Once you are as good as I am, you can just use the force to know when they are done!!!

Perhaps one day I too will learn to harness the power of the force. Then again, if I had the power I guess I would have no need for additional lighting (then it would be necessary only for my mere mortal guests).

Rope lighting on the bimini sounds like an interesting option. However, at least for now, a bimini is on my winter wish list.
Old 09-02-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I have a solar powered light that I bought for about 35$. Can't remember where I got it but it comes with a bracket for mounting on the bimini frame. Provides pretty good light and never needs batteries.
Old 09-02-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I have seen Trailer brake lights used. You can get a small one (non LED) for about 5 bucks. That would work great for a locker.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White