Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-02-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Storing gas for the outboard

Does anyone know of a stainless cradle or basket that I can attach to the transom that will hold the tank for the outboard motor? I've been storing it in a lazarette and feeling guilty about it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Not sure about stainless or aluminum but there are a myriad of plastic containers one could retrofit for such a purpose. Presuming it's for the dinghy, either towed or on davits, you could also safely store it there.

Check out the big box hardware stores where you can find lots of garage storage area options
Old 09-02-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
Does anyone know of a stainless cradle or basket that I can attach to the transom that will hold the tank for the outboard motor? I've been storing it in a lazarette and feeling guilty about it.
You can't keep it in the dinghy?

It's really not a good idea to store any kind of fuel tank outside of the confines of the boat - the lazarette is as good a place as any. Not sure what it's like where you are, but most countries frown on even the possibility of an oil spill..
Old 09-02-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
On my O'Day both aft cockpit lazarettes are set up to store small propane tanks, they have drains in them that come out above water line at the stern. I keep a 1 gallon gas tank in one of them. The drain allows the gas vapors to escape.

If you can put a drain in the lazarette and have the drain come out above water line the it will be ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 09-02-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
If you can put a drain in the lazarette and have the drain come out above water line the it will be ok.
Dennis, this is a fuel tank he's talking about.

The last thing you want is for fuel to run overboard - besides getting a hefty fine, I'm sure your friendly neighbourhood tree-huggers would be onto you in a flash!
Old 09-02-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Hartley,

I know it's a fuel tank, but if it's sealed there should be no leaking. The drain is for fumes, the fumes are heavier then air and will go down the drain.
Besides I like goofing on the tree huggers.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 09-02-2008
Cal20

KB7EWA is on a distinguished road
I have a Cal 20 and have been debating between a large electric or a small gas motor. My concern with gas has been fuel storage. I am to understand that fuel is stored inside the boat as long as the vapors can be released? It still seems to me that surely some will escape and poison the crew sleeping aboard.
Old 09-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the fuel tank is a permanent one, it should have a vent that vents overboard....usually through a hull-mounted above-waterline through-hull. It should not leak fumes into the boat.

If it is a portable tank, it should be shut when not in use...most small portable tanks have a vent that can be closed.

Fumes should not be escaping into the interior of the boat, unless you've got a leak or are very stupid.

A permanent installation should probably have a fume detector and a fan to vent any fumes overboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7EWA View Post
I have a Cal 20 and have been debating between a large electric or a small gas motor. My concern with gas has been fuel storage. I am to understand that fuel is stored inside the boat as long as the vapors can be released? It still seems to me that surely some will escape and poison the crew sleeping aboard.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
I'm talking about a small portable tank. I'm my case it's not feasible to store it in the dinghy since I store the dinghy rack on shore. The tank does seal (the vent closes). However, if the tank did somehow leak while in the lazarette the vapor could end up the boat interior and bilge. Here's a quote from surveyors report when I bought the boat....

"The spare propane tank and portable gasoline tanks stored in the cockpit's port aft sea locker must be removed and stored in a location that does not communicate with the vessel's interior to comply with ABYC and CFR requirements."

This is one of the survey items my insurance company required me to follow in order for me to get a certificate of compliance and insurance. I removed the tank for a while, but put it back in the sea locker when I could find no decent alternative, but I've felt guilty about it ever since. Also, I want the insurance to cover the boat if it burns up and if the tank is in the sea locker they would have a case to deny the claim. So, that's why I'm looking for a cradle of some sort that will hold the tank next to the outboard on the rail. I'm not excited about the aesthetics of this solution, so if anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it.
Old 09-03-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Why not seal off the locker from the interior and install a vent to the outside? Sounds like the locker is the perfect place to store these tanks except for the surveyors issue.