Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-02-2008

Pearsonistic is on a distinguished road
Question Pearson 30 motor questions

I just bought a Pearson 30 (1976) with a broken atomic four. I am planning on replacing the motor with a rebuilt atomic four from Moyer Marine. I'd like advise.
I was considering mounting a motor mount on the transom for an outboard to get me underway until the motor can be replaced. Then I'll buy a used outboard which I can keep as a backup. Is this a dumb I idea? Should I just wait for the new engine? Is it a bad plan to drill holes in the transom for a motor mount I might not use much?

Diesel: reliable, stinky, noisy, efficient, $11K or more installed, good for long cruises, good resale value, (do I need a new prop if I switch to diesel?)
Gasoline: quiet, familiar, $6K installed, not planning on motoring much anyhow (but who knows, it's my first boat).
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2008

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
If I had the dough for a boat that size..I'd go deisel all the way...too many articles about boat fires from gas engine fumes to make me ever want a gas engine for a sailboat but thats one man's opinion....
Old 09-02-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearsonistic View Post
I just bought a Pearson 30 (1976) with a broken atomic four. I am planning on replacing the motor with a rebuilt atomic four from Moyer Marine. I'd like advise.
I was considering mounting a motor mount on the transom for an outboard to get me underway until the motor can be replaced. Then I'll buy a used outboard which I can keep as a backup. Is this a dumb I idea? Should I just wait for the new engine? Is it a bad plan to drill holes in the transom for a motor mount I might not use much?

Diesel: reliable, stinky, noisy, efficient, $11K or more installed, good for long cruises, good resale value, (do I need a new prop if I switch to diesel?)
Gasoline: quiet, familiar, $6K installed, not planning on motoring much anyhow (but who knows, it's my first boat).
Any thoughts?
I personally would wait and not mount he outboard. 11K for a diesel conversion is a VERY good deal! If you can do it for that jump on it before they come to their senses..

If you are handy you could do a diesel your self for about 6.5 to 8k.

Atomic fours are good engines but 6k seems quite expensive..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-02-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
"too many articles about boat fires from gas engine fumes to make me ever want a gas engine for a sailboat but thats one man's opinion...."

Alas, another one.
Please point me to the article that sites a fire was caused by gas fumes from a gas engine on a SAILBOAT.

the VAST majority of fires from fumes are on powerboats.
the VAST majority of THOSE and not due to unsafe design, or improper equipment.

Plainly put...
THE VAST MAJORITY OF FIRES FOM GAS FUMES ARE DUE TO UNSAFE OPERATION AND/OR OPERATOR ERROR.

I know theres a HUGE "oh no, not a gas engine under there" bias, its something I encounter weekly. Usually from people that have no clue.

There were over 40,000 A-4's installed. There is NO diesel Mfr that comes close to that number of installs... (in class)
That number of boats simply can't be "wrong".

Lets take a look at some "costs"..s gas vs diesel.
repower gas about 6k installed, ( I was under the impression that a rebuilt was about 4k, I suppose with freight, core and install it could get to 6k.)diesel, almost twice that. (not installed)
You've also got to take a look at new mounts, tanks, filters, lines, electronics, oh man, not pretty.

IF the OP didn't have to go with exchange engine, a typical rebuild parts kit is less than 2k. Try that number on for size with any diesel.

parts prices. full tune up for gas, about 40 bucks in a hard year.
Whats one injector for a W18 or 33 go for? 71.00? One glow plug? 37.60 You going to replace that yourself?

There is a huge market for diesel. I don't deny that, but repowering a 25 to 30k boat with 11k of engine just doesn't make much economic sense, and my humble opinion, gives no advantage in safety concerns.

I also wouldn't rig up an outboard. Your motor would be delivered by the time you got a mount mounted.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 09-02-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2008

Xosh is on a distinguished road
interesting

I just recently bought a Pearson 30 myself (and now i'm hoping it doesn't get blown away in the storm...), but I'm having inboard engine troubles as well. I actually just went an bought a used outboard bracket and plan to mount a 9.9hp outboard on it. My boat is about an hour north of where I am going to keep it and it's on a private mooring that I have to vacate by the end of Sep.

I don't have the cash to blow on my diesel right now, so this seems to be the cheapest way. I'm interested to see what others say about this posting.
Old 09-02-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
whats wrong with the diesel?

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-02-2008

cranki is on a distinguished road
I have a Pearson 30 with an Atomic 4. I would not mount the outboard but wait for the new/rebuilt engine. I would also stick with the A4 - quiet, smooth, easy to start. I wonder how many, if any, P30's have been blown to bits by their Atomic gas engines?
Old 09-02-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Our Atomic 4 is 41 years old and is still quietly clunking along. It has had the electronic ignition upgrade and starts very reliably. Our boat has not caught fire or blown up in 41 years of service to at least 3 different owners. The worst problem we have with ours is that our plugs got dirty recently and we had to replace them at a cost of 12 - 18$. The engine likes new plugs and I need to tune the carb lean/rich screw so the plugs last longer.
I am a smoker as well so that means extinguishing all open flames when re-fueling, period.
Forget about the outboard mount unless you want a whole new set of problems to deal with. The Atomic 4 is a tractor engine while most outboards are engineered to a pinnacle that if one tiny thing goes wrong you are sitting in the water. An A4 can take some abuse that most outboards would require a major overhaul to fix.
Your mileage may vary.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Pearsonistic,

I would definitely await the new engine. Do you really want to trash your P30's beautiful, classic stern with an ugly outboard motor mount?

Halekai36,

Usually your advice is right on the money, but I feel you're dead wrong on this issue. Personally, I believe the venerable A-4, in good condition and properly maintained to be a far better engine in all respects than any diesel. They're quieter, less smelly and, I believe, more dependable.

souljour2000,

The "blowing up from gasoline fumes" thing is a non-issue if the engine and fuel system is properly maintained and the appropriate safety procedures are observed. I've so far never smelled gasoline fumes in my engine space (knock on wood) and always run my blower for five (5) minutes nontheless.

TBH: Propane scrares me far more than gasoline fumes.

I would never consider $11k for a diesel vs. $6k for a rebuild A-4 from Moyer.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 09-03-2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Corrected (implied) mis-attribution
Old 09-02-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

A few weeks ago I was in Cape Code sailing on a friends mid 70's Pearson 30. He bought the boat about 5 years ago. It came with the A30 gas engine. After a few years the engine died. He spent well over 10K to have a Yanmar diesel installed. He knows he will never get the money back, but he wanted something reliable and the yards near him would not install or work on the Atomic 30.

Personally, I have no problem with a gas engine. How many power boats are gas powered? How many blow up?

Barry