Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-02-2008

montenido is on a distinguished road
Portable Genny and Inverter Questions

Hi all, I know this subject has been beaten to death several times over (I read those threads). Just a couple of quick Qs. First, with the Honda 2000i, can I just plug it into my shoreline socket to charge the batteries? I have two banks, house and starting, each with two batteries. Sorry, but I don't have the battery capacity handy, I'll check next time I see the boat. I have a WM battery charger wired into the system which charges at 5 amps. When on shore power, the charger keeps both sets of batteries topped up.
If I use this set up, I know I still could use an inverter to power appliances. Any tips on size or brands of inverters? I think that is about all for now.

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yes..you can plug in shore power to the Honda but you will need a 15a to 30a adapter. It will work fine with your charger BUT at only 5 amps you will have to run the generator for a long time to recharge four standard batteries which will typically have around 100ah each for a total of 400ah and 200ah before charging is needed. That is 40 hours at 5 amps!! Not a good solution for cruising but fine for the weekend.
When you say appliances I think of microwaves and hair dryers and I think the Xantrex line has proven pretty reliable. If you are gonna replace your charger, one of their combo units may be a good solution for you. Sizing is based on the START UP wattage of whatever it is you want to power.
Old 09-02-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
There is an adapter cable you can get for the Honda genny - Camping World and other major RV places can probably get the part (or call Honda Directly).

As per your inverter question - it'll all depend on what you want to power. For instance I have a 300 watt invertor (bought at a truck stop) - it powers most laptops, phone chargers and other small load / trickle items - but will not power a Cuisinart 10 cup coffee maker.. So you need to base your inverter choice on needs - if you have the Honda genny - then really no need to have an inverter IMHO - less for powering a small device while underway..

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-02-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Keep in mind the 2000i has a rated continuous output of 13 amps, not 20. It's good for top off's and using as a provider of 110v, not a house bank charger. OTOH it will power my 16,500 BTU air conditioner but not coffee and AC at once

If you want to use a 110v appliance your best bet is to fire up the Honda, use the appliance plugged into a 110v outlet, and then shut down the Honda; that saves the loss of efficiency in the AC to DC conversion inherent in inverters - and saves you the money and wiring in of an inverter.
Old 09-03-2008

northbay is on a distinguished road
A little off topic yet with regard to generators. I'm looking for info
on recommended brands for a 3 to 4 K generator?

Bob s/v Journey
Old 09-03-2008

PilotAlso is on a distinguished road
Why would the 2000 not be suitable for a house bank charger?

Are you thinking that 13 amp 120 volt AC continuous can't power a 40+ amp 12 volt charger?

The way I figure if you don't count losses, it should be enough to squeak out near 100 amps.
Old 09-03-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I used my Honda 2000 the other day to run a 100W work light and an angle grinder and it barely changed its engine note. In my charging scheme, which is "still in development", the Honda has three functions: portable power at sea to save me using the inverter for power tools; last-option, lowest priority house bank charging for when the engine won't start and it's a calm, cloudy night; and for "spot-charging" the battery for the anchor windlass, so I don't have to run either an extension cord from the inverter or a dedicated solar panel on the deck (it's a manual/electric, so this is just a convenience).

Basically, I want the inverter to handle a wide range of small loads or "specialty" loads, like pure sine ones for the electronics. It's fairly wasteful to convert diesel to 14.4 VDC in an alternator/solar panel/wind gen and then back to 120 VAC for a Makita drill, etc., so the Honda makes sense for "15 minutes of 10 amp noise making", rather than eating a day's worth of refrigerator-running DC, for instance.

It's also handy for running lights when you are on the far side of a powered-down boat yard in the dark of winter when your own batteries are at home in the basement.
Old 09-03-2008

northbay is on a distinguished road
While the Honda 2000 might be an option, I'm looking
more toward a 3 to 4K unit that is a high end energy
producer for muit-purpose use. Any thoughts on a brand name?

Bob (North Bay) s/v Journey
Old 09-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Northbay-

Plenty of threads have been done on gensets, especially diesel gensets that are permanently installed... would suggest you read them, as they contain a fair bit more information than this thread.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Just as a side mention on the Honda 2000: The choke is almost TOO effective in that I didn't quite grasp that "full choke" in warm weather would stall out the engine. If it's warm enough, you can go with half or no choke from a cold start...if the engine isn't technically cold to begin with.

I should have known this as my Honda 2 HP outboard starts without choke in this weather readily.