Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-02-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Major hull repair.....Fibreglass work......

They say free boats arent worth what you pay, that may be true for my newest boat. I got a 1984 Hobie Holder 14 today for the great price of nothing.
(Note: i have a little bit of boat building in me and plenty of fibreglass repair, so i can repair this one)

The boat has some major hull damage. The worst being a crack in the chine about 2' long. My issue is im going to have to cut a hole in the deck or cockpit to access the inside of the hole. I figure i can cut a hole in the seat and install an inspection hatch in the hole to fill it since my gelcoat skills are bad.

It looks as though the mast step busted through the deck at some point, but it has a big SS plate that someone made for it. Ive got most of the hardware and the mast, lacking sails/rudder/daggerboard/boom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2008
Banned

runner is on a distinguished road
Don't feel too bad! I just got back from dragging a 16 foot fiberglass hull home that is designed for a three stay rig to give me a hull to play with while the aluminum one is waiting to get the keel fixed. I don't recognise it but it has a sail chute built into the front deck. Way too much work for practical, but I am gonna fix it anyway. In this case, the hardware is pretty much worth the gas I spent to go get it!
Old 09-03-2008
'72 Pearson 36

Yea i got lucky and this one was only about 4 miles away. The Holder has a 20' mast with a 3 stay rig also. Ive got the mast and its in good shape. Haven't gotten to work on it yet due to haveing to get things in order on the big boat for the storms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-04-2008
Banned

This hull has a couple of small places that need patched in the fiberglass bottom. The top is cracked around where the mast sits. I will have to place some support under the deck at the top of that slot and then fix the cracking. It has a hinged mast setup but the step only has the one hole. Kinda stuck with the angle.
This boat has side floatation and and storage under the bow with a chute that comes out thru the bow that I guess is to deploy a spinnaker easier. Not sure how that hole would do if the waves start to come over the bow at all. It is set up for wooden seats on each side. I need to remove a rigged motormount to see the only ideentification I have seen anywhere on the boat, but I am pretty sure someone will recognise what this one is.
There is a 25 foot mast and sails available with an older wood hull locally, and I think that is the rig that will end up on this boat.
Have a nice day! I have to go out and unload the hull off a flatbed if it ever quits raining!
Old 09-06-2008
Banned

Free boats.....

It finally stopped raining and I drove to a steep street nearby to let the considerable water drain out of the hull. I was quite happy at what I was finding. At 16 feet long and 6 wide, the boat has lots of room compared to the old boat, seats, and it has good storage for a small boat. It has in the past had a full race type rig on it. The sail chute in the front bow pretty much tells you what the boat was set up for. With the water, a whole bunch of styrofoam pellets washed out. Later when I was power washing, I stepped into the hull for the first time. The floor of the cockpit has no support under it. The foam or whatever was the support is gone. This would require removing the top and lots of work. Does anyone recognise this boat and is there any reason to attempt those kinds of repairs on it?

Old 09-06-2008
'72 Pearson 36

Thats a cool looking boat. Im going to start the repairs on mine this week. Had to get some repairs done on my rowing dink first. I always though the dink was just heavy, but it turned out the foam in the seats was water logged, now ive got 2 nice lockers on the boat.

Im going to get mine into the shop and on stands here in the next day or so.

Old 09-07-2008
Banned

I found one like it today on ebay. It is a CL-16 boat made in Canada today. The boat had jib cars on slides, slides on the transom for I assume a traveler, and a chute to deploy, I assume, a spinnaker molded into the fore deck leading down into the storage under the deck. Apparently it was a very nice play boat. With a nice one on ebay for 4500$ asking, this one without sails, with major work needed, and with a lot of the hardware gone, is not really worth restoring I think. The one on Ebay does not have the chute in the fore deck, but it is pretty much the same boat.
Ya win some, and you lose some! Too bad because it really is a very nice little boat and not very heavy. Unless there is something collectable about this model with the sail chute, I think it is time to give up and trash it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.